Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who has logged in to my remote desktop? [ubuntu]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Who has logged in to my remote desktop? [ubuntu]

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Back everything up and reinstall. I would suggest installing either 10.04, or 12.04, even though 12.04 won't be released for another 3 months, it is quite stable from what I have heard.
    Well, a little bit off topic, but is xbmc stable for 12.04? I am only using this box for xbmc and had a lot of struggle getting it up and running, and haven't touch it since. That is two years ago now, so you could say I am paranoid about loosing my xbmc for a couple of days

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by sinnadyr View Post
    Well, a little bit off topic, but is xbmc stable for 12.04? I am only using this box for xbmc and had a lot of struggle getting it up and running, and haven't touch it since. That is two years ago now, so you could say I am paranoid about loosing my xbmc for a couple of days
    I don't use it, but a quick google found this:
    http://www.noobslab.com/2011/12/inst...4-precise.html
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dude - check out fail2ban and please, please, please move your sshd to any other port but 22 from the outside world. You don't need to change it on the server, just in the router.

Using something like 50022 on your WAN side and redirect that to 22 internally.

Also, all the folks telling you to update are doing you a favor. The newer versions of XBMC are really nice and the setup/config is pretty painless these days.

A little blog post on more secure ssh connections: http://blog.jdpfu.com/2011/08/23/sec...cking-failures

If you are allowing VNC from the outside world, that's a really bad idea. It is not secure. You can VNC through an SSH tunnel if you need to, or look into using FreeNX server and any NX client when you are remote. It is more bandwidth efficient than VNC AND includes ssh tunneling in the protocol.
    Last edited by TheFu; January 24th, 2012 at 03:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Having ssh listening on port 22 is fine as long as you secure it properly and use a strong password.

DenyHosts or Fail2ban are good, but you can use iptables to accomplish the same thing.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thank you all! This is really appreciated. Will make sure to upgrade my computer and play a bit more secure in the future.

Thank you!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123