Hello UF, I have a strange issue here that I am having trouble solving.

Ubuntu 11:10
ATI Technologies Inc M96 [Mobility Radeon HD 4650]

I installed Ubuntu on my laptop with an ati video card which has an HDMI output. Using the open(default) video drivers and the additional restricted drivers I have swapping issues. I wonder if there is a way to solve these on one driver or the other.

Using default open ATI drivers: My computer detects my hdmi monitor quite nicely and the resolution goes up to full 1080, which makes me very satisfied. The problem is that when I play a movie and select audio to output through HDMI cable the videos play back strangely: with no sound and as if I was fast forwarding. The solution I found for this is to install the ATI official drivers which leads to other issues below...

Using additional ATI drivers: My computer no longer detects my HDMI monitors resolution, and it gives me errors when I try to change it above the default (something like 1154xXXX). Pretty much anything I try to change causes assorted errors to pop up and nothing to change. The good news is that if I leave it at the default, smaller resolution it successfully plays audio and video through HDMI cabel.

Thank you for sticking with me through my wallotext. I guess my question is: is there a way to make either the open driver or ATI official driver work successfully?

I will change back to official ATI driver right now and post a log of the errors.

Thank you