Thread: Ubuntu 11.10 Refuses to Boot

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Ubuntu 11.10 Refuses to Boot

Hi. I installed Ubuntu 11.10 on my Dell Inspiron alongside Vista with a partition of 18GB for it to run on. For several startups, Ubuntu loaded successfully. But just recently, I've been getting a black screen with white text that talks about something called Grub. I have no idea what this means, and Ubuntu won't boot no matter what command I type. I can't seem to get past this screen.

It says something like, "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else, TAB lists possible device/filename completions."

I've put a lot of work into customizing my Ubuntu install, so I REALLY don't want to have to reinstall it and loose all my settings.
    What can I do?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Seth.Meyers; January 20th, 2012 at 03:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 Refuses to Boot

Hello & welcome to the forums,

Grub is the bootloader that Ubuntu uses, so there's obviously something stopping the boot from proceeding.

To help you, it would be really handy if you could note down the exact Grub error that you're getting and post that back here.

Thanks
    Matt
    blog.mattrudge.net for extra helpings of geeky Ubuntu goodness
    Get the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.10 Refuses to Boot

Quote Originally Posted by lechien73 View Post
    Hello & welcome to the forums,

Grub is the bootloader that Ubuntu uses, so there's obviously something stopping the boot from proceeding.

To help you, it would be really handy if you could note down the exact Grub error that you're getting and post that back here.

Thanks
    Thanks for your fast reply. However, that text is all I see on the screen. I've attached an image of an identical screen to the one I always get. There's no error code, if that's what you're looking for.
    Hope that helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images