Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga Ultrabook

Beans

Unhappy Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga Ultrabook

Quote Originally Posted by ABBzptT View Post
    I have this problem too. It happens with PgUp, PgDn and the arrow keys. I've also noticed it with Delete. It is particularly annoying in eog when browsing photographs, you have to be careful - you think you are deleting one photo but the key gets stuck and deletes hundreds if the confirmation is turned off!

I have checked with xev and it appears that the key release signal is not received. I thought it might be a BIOS issue. Has anyone noticed this while using Windows 8?

The messages you see are not related to the sticky keys. You can turn those off using sudo setkeycodes e03e 255 for your current session, but it seems to revert to that behaviour again after waking up from sleep.
    This is 1 of 3 things why I am going to return the nice Lenovo Yoga to the seller:
    1. Random sticky key issue
    2. WiFi works not for all WiFi-routers
    3. One can't easily click the desired target without having the mouse pointer moved. The touchpad buttons are unwantedly sensitive to mouse pointer movements

Beans

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga Ultrabook

Quote Originally Posted by liquidator87 View Post
    Does anyone have problems with build-in microphone and Skype? The microphone is recognized, but it works very badly... it produces a lot of noise and my words are understandable if I shout and speak slowly
    I think this has just been patched in the kernel, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1239392.
    It should end up in the audio drivers daily builds soon, and then they can be installed this way:

Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/alsa-daily
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install oem-audio-hda-daily-dkms

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mehanzhi View Post
    Hello,

Keyboard and touchpad disabling in tablet mode:

I have a script that disables and enables the touchpad. It is working fine, but I need an idea how can I detect the screen turning, so I can put there the script execution.
    The keyboard is disabled then turning the screen, but I have no idea how to trace the action. If anybody have idea, please share it and I'll test .
    Have you made any progress on this? I am trying to figure out how to automatically kick off a script when the yoga flips into tablet mode. Apparently some lenovo convertibles have events that trigger acpi actions listed in /etc/acpi/events, but I cannot figure out how to detect such events form the Yoga.

Beans

Hello ozydingo

I haven't found a way to trace the turning of the screen.
    I think that the keyboard switch is a hardware not software, because I know that the keyboard is switched off after flippIing the screen. I tried to monitor with udevadm monitor, but I saw not a single event. Still the keyboard is turned off.
    Then I tried it in the BIOS and in grub2 menu during boot. I am sure that there can not be loaded any drivers and I was right. The keyboard was turned off even outside the OS.

But the touchpad is using some kind of software switch and since udev detects no events, I can not execute any action. That ACPI events may be a good idea, I'll try to get something as a trigger based on this events and I'll post answer.

However, so far I was perfectly happy using software scripts and gnome menu items for triggers to disable touchpad and rotate the screen. Earlier I could trigger a script using the small button on the right side that I think is used to lock screen rotation in windos. But after some kernel updates, I can't assign any action to this button. It's detected as "O", or Ctrl+O and the keyboard shortcuts tool can capture it and assign action on this button, but when I try to trigger it, nothing happens. Anybody have the same issue? Any workaround?

Thankyou.

[Edit1]

Sorry, but I wasn't able to detect any acpi events with acpid. The command is very simple, you just type as root: acpi_listen and you rotate the screen, push buttons or whatever you wish to.
    Pressing the buttons for volume control or brithness of the screen works fine and generates ACPi events, but the screen rotation and flip does not.
    Last edited by mehanzhi; November 8th, 2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Adding stuff, don't want to double post.

Beans

Did anyone ever find a way to get bluetooth working? I have Ubuntu on my Yoga 13 but still no bluetooth. The Software Centre doesn't work either, but I have a work around for that.

Beans

Thanks for the effort & info. I've found the same results with the rotate lock button, though it's detected here as Super + O (even down to using showkey -s to monitor the scan code). I wonder what's going on that it can't be used to trigger anything.

The last lead I was trying to work on is here - https://gist.github.com/emiller/6488449 - where he claims the yoga emits the keycode e03e at regular intervals when the screen is flipped. I cannot see this code emitted. Perhaps it's a difference with the Yoga vs. Yoga 2? Can you confirm anything that post says on your end?

Beans

Bluetooth worked out of the box for my Yoga 2. I don't know what the hardware & software differences are exactly, but I'm happy to report the contents of any configuration files if you can tell me where to look.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I spent some time and got screen rotation functioning with scripts, following post 104 by mehanzhi (Thank you!). It took me a while to sort out the dependencies. I thought that I would post them in case it helps any one else:

sudo apt-get install xutils-dev libx11-dev libxi-dev libxrandr-dev

I was able to assign a script to the "lock screen" button on the right side of the keyboard. Others have said that it does not work for them. I did not do anything special, it just worked, so I don't know what to tell you. The script I assigned rotates through each of the orientations. It also turns off the touch pad for right, inverted, and left, and turns it back on when it gets to normal. I also have Gnome Shell favorite buttons to toggle the touch pad, jump to a specific screen orientation, and bring up the On Board keyboard. These scripts also assume default touchpad states. For me that's the simplest solution until automatic screen rotation and touchpad deactivation are figured out.

Thanks to this thread, I now have a very functional Ubuntu Yoga!

Beans

Hey Brave Ones---

I have skimmed this whole thread.
    I was raving about how nice it would be for my sister (a Windows user) to have a Yoga, and then my family got me one for Christmas.

I would like to keep it and use as much as possible with Ubuntu, but it would be my primary machine for school (I'm a Math undergraduate, last year).
    I have an i7 with 256GB of storage, so I though maybe I could dual boot 128GB/128GB with Windows until the scarier Linux issues are ironed out.
    Poor wifi and the repeating key thing are my biggest concerns.
    I'm no Linux guru, but do have a little bit of technical experience/interest from school and using Ubuntu for a couple years.

On the other hand, it might not make that much sense to have a computer the special feature of which is tablet functionality if I have to use Windows all the time. As Ubuntu 13.10 is out now, I just thought I would ask if any people are successfully using this for work, etc., and what their recommendations are.
    And, specifically,
    (1) Should the Windows partition still have the same performance if I dual boot?
    (2) Is compatibility likely to be better with Ubuntu 14.04?

Thanks in Advance,
    T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Tumerictj,

I'm running Ubuntu 13.10 on a Yoga 13 I received for Christmas. I never had any issues with wifi or repeating keys. Reading the thread it sounds like the WIFI issue was fixed with a kernel update some time ago. Apparently repeating keys only affects some.

I'm still setup to dual boot, but I've not used Windows for anything, only Ubuntu. Tablet mode is surprisingly usable for me. The only thing lacking is auto-rotate of the screen and auto-deactivate of the touchpad. These are done with scripts that are run from shortcuts on the screen and the little button on the right side of the machine. The built-in supper key on the screen is very useful in tablet mode as well.

I'm not a computer expert but I don't know why the windows partition would suffer from dual boot. Should be just as fast. I don't know what changes are in store for 14.04, but in general compatibility with existing machines increases with each new version.

Have fun!

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast