Thread: Better command line utility for 7z?

Beans

Better command line utility for 7z?

Are there any command line utilities to open .7z files that are a little more intuitive than the current "7z" command? Because it's quite confusing and acts nothing like other utilities like zip, rar, tar, gzip, bzip2, lha, etc. Or maybe a script that "converts" the odd syntax used by 7z to more understandable syntax?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Better command line utility for 7z?

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but check out atool. It's in the repositories. It can handle many different compression file formats, including 7z (I think you need to install p7zip). According to atool --help, it can "repack archives to a different format (arepack)".

I use it to extract various file types, e.g. tar.gz and tar.bz2. Instead of trying (and failing) to remember the various options different formats require, I only need to remember atool -x foo.tar.bz2

Beans

Thank you! Even better!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I know you asked for command-line utilities, but File Roller can drive 7z.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

I use PeaZip for a front-end GUI, or sometimes I'll use the Windows version of 7-zip through Wine. Does File Roller have more features than those two?