Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mozilla updates in 11.10

Beans

Mozilla updates in 11.10

Is there a simple way to update Firefox and Thunderbird to the 9.0.1 versions?
    [versions 10 are set for release at the end of the month]

Neither Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center show either upgrade or full versions, and linking to an existing profile with the installed Ubuntu/Mozilla versions breaks existing addons. [8x is not compatible with updated addons in these profiles].

TIA

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Mozilla updates in 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by Tranas View Post
    Is there a simple way to update Firefox and Thunderbird to the 9.0.1 versions?
    [versions 10 are set for release at the end of the month]

Neither Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center show either upgrade or full versions, and linking to an existing profile with the installed Ubuntu/Mozilla versions breaks existing addons. [8x is not compatible with updated addons in these profiles].

TIA
    I am using 11.10 and Firefox version has been updated to 9.0.1.

just run updates from update manager.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Hidden!

For FF 9.0.1 I selected the "Pre-released updates oneiric-proposed" in the source settings then ran an update with Update Manager, then unchecked everything but FF 9.0.1 and the FF related packages. This worked fine also for T-bird. Afterwards, I reverted from the "proposed" sources, so I wouldn't have to keep seeing and de-selecting all the other proposed stuff.

Hope this helps. IF so, please use the thread tools to mark the thread Solved.

Good luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spacecheck View Post
    For FF 9.0.1 I selected the "Pre-released updates oneiric-proposed" in the source settings then ran an update with Update Manager, then unchecked everything but FF 9.0.1 and the FF related packages. This worked fine also for T-bird. Afterwards, I reverted from the "proposed" sources, so I wouldn't have to keep seeing and de-selecting all the other proposed s!tuff.
    A little more detail would be helpful. Selected 'source settings' where? [Let's try TBird first]

Update manager sees no updates - TBird remains at version 8.

Beans

I presume that the 'source settings' are in System Settings, however the suggested choice on this particular box produces 89 possible updates - in some mysterious sort of order - one of which is a generic 'Thunderbird'.

Problem is, it is shown as 9.0 build 2 [are you feeling lucky today??] - whatever that is.

To get this one unknown, I need to 'uncheck' 88 boxes?? Then reconfigure source settings.

Apparently, the update manager naming conventions differ from those of Firefox, and from what I know, the 9.0.1 is a stable build that has been out since December 23 - hardly something Pre-release. This whole procedure appears somewhat mickey-mouse.

YMMV

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

either 9 or 9+, you will dont see the difference

for better knowledge about packages, use synaptic

Beans

"Proposed" updates are not recommended/approved as stable, Firefox 9.0.1 is the 11.10 repos, repeat: you do not need to enable the proposed repo.

If you want new software the day it is released, you can download it (for example from mozilla.org) and install it on your machine in about 30 seconds. You take responsibility for your own system (this is the beauty and freedom of "open source").

If you want automatic updates fed to you by the Ubuntu Team then you wait a few days until they've tested these updates for breakage. For Firefox 9.0.1 it took about 4 days as you can read here. I guess we have different definitions of "mickey-mouse;" personally my definition of mickey-mouse is "updates that bork our customers' computers because we didn't test them".
    Last edited by snowpine; January 17th, 2012 at 06:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    "Proposed" updates are not recommended/approved as stable, Firefox 9.0.1 is the 11.10 repos, repeat: you do not need to enable the proposed repo.

If you want new software the day it is released, you can download it (for example from mozilla.org) and install it on your machine in about 30 seconds. You take responsibility for your own system (this is the beauty and freedom of "open source").

If you want automatic updates fed to you by the Ubuntu Team then you wait a few days until they've tested these updates for breakage. For Firefox 9.0.1 it took about 4 days as you can read here. I guess we have different definitions of "mickey-mouse;" personally my definition of mickey-mouse is "updates that bork our customers' computers because we didn't test them".
    9.0.1 has been out for better than three weeks, certainly more than a couple of days by my count. Considering that both Firefox and Thunderbird are the default browser and mail programs for Ubuntu 11.10 seems it should be normal to expect them to get more than ho-hum attention in the update system.

The native Update Manager will *NOT* update Tbird 8.0, it is not shown as an available update and Synaptic does not have it either.

I am glad you tested 9.0.1 - I would appreciate it if you could explain the simple way to update [the installed from the Ubuntu live CD] version 8.

TIA

Beans

Firefox 9.0.1 has been in the 11.10 repos since Dec 28 as several people are trying to tell you. It took Canonical 4 days including Christmas to give you this update, asking nothing from you in return.

Then the question you should be asking yourself is not "why isn't Ubuntu providing me with timely updates?" but "why is my system not up to date with the updates Ubuntu has so thoughtfully provided?"

Here is some basic reading material on software sources and the update manager:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware

Personally here is my basic troubleshooting procedure for update related issues:

Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Last edited by snowpine; January 17th, 2012 at 07:10 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast