Thread: Need assistance with Live USB creator

Beans

Need assistance with Live USB creator

I have finally done away with windows and went Ubuntu all the way, but I was interested in seeing what other flavors of Linux GUI were like. I wanted to use the fedora live usb creator. I have downloaded the tar.gz file and extracted it but have no idea what to do next. I thought somebody would be able to help me out.
    file:///home/steve/Downloads/liveusb-creator-3.11.6.tar.bz2
    is what I downloaded and when extracted the are several different directories but if it isn't a deb file or I havn't done an apt-get command Im not sure how to set it up or configure it. Please help because this is really bugging me. I'm in no way swaying away from Ubuntu, I've because quit comfortable with it, but I'm just curious as to how another version is layed out and such. thanks.

Steve

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Need assistance with Live USB creator

Using a tar.bz or such will require extracting, configuring & compiling prior to installing. Have a look at this article for an example https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/6001
    If you can find .deb files for the program you want they should install automatically through software centre.
    Unetbootin is also a good tool for creating live USB drives, available from software centre.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

you don't need Fedora usb creator. you can use tools available in Ubuntu software center and then use them with Fedora image.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    you don't need Fedora usb creator. you can use tools available in Ubuntu software center and then use them with Fedora image.
    Yes, Startup Disk Creator is installed by default in 11.10 and probably prior Ubuntus as well. You could easily use that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If you wish to give a few different flavours of Linux a try check out MultiBootUSB.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1518273

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Hidden!

Lightbulb Re: Need assistance with Live USB creator

Hi, there is a comprehensive solution detailed here:
    http://ifireball.wordpress.com/2011/...tor-on-ubuntu/

Essentially, you need to install some other software first (dependencies); download the latest version of liveusb-creator; extract it and from the terminal run:
    Code:
    sudo /path/to/liveusb-creator
    Eg.
    Code:
    sudo /home/john/Downloads/liveusb-creator-3.11.6/liveusb-creator
    To the other folks who replied: nice to chip in, but not very helpful. Fedora recommends against UNetBootin; the "Startup Disk Creator" that comes with Ubuntu by default is set up to only install Ubuntu iso's to USB and in this case a configure make install is not possible.