Thread: password asked when boot up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

password asked when boot up

Hi,

I've been using 11.10 as a dual boot since october with Unity. From a week or so everytime I boot up, Ubuntu asks my password twice even I'm already inside ubuntu (it's not the unlock-screen password).
    I think this started when I executed the Ubuntu One app for the first time about a week ago to back up my data. It may be important to say that I only have one user account so I'm always booting as admin.
    Also, Ubuntu asks me again my password when I enter banshee (before it didn't happen).

Do you know why is it asking me for the password? Is it important? If not, how can I get rid of this annoying message?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Lalaith; January 15th, 2012 at 11:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: password asked when boot up

Is this like a gksudo password, or is it your keyring password?
    Matt
    blog.mattrudge.net for extra helpings of geeky Ubuntu goodness
    Get the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The message asks me about keyring password. (is it different than sudo password?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you change the keyring password to an empty password it will stop asking you for the keyring password during bootup.

Go to System -> Preferences -> Passwords and Encryption Keys, which will display the following dialogue.

From here, select “Passwords: Login” -> right-mouse click -> and select “Change Password”.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks a lot.

In my case, the UbuntuOne password was the first password that the keyring had to store, and I think that's why I was never before asked for it.

With Unity, I had to search from the dash all the system aplications and there I found the "passwords and keys" app.

I found also some information that may help to others to learn what is the keyring password.
    http://davestechsupport.com/blog/200...sword-keyring/
    http://mexpolk.wordpress.com/2008/02...ring-password/

Thanks again!