Thread: hibernate stops working

Beans

Unhappy hibernate stops working

It may seem silly, but since I put the video drivers (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1903831) in my Lubuntu 11.10. All of a sudden stopped working the functionality to hibernate my notebook, which is totally embarrassing me, and I use it a lot.
    If I start to hibernate the computer obeys and this seems to do everything normal, but when I want to return from hibernation, it does nothing, just freezes...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: hibernate stops working

Hibernation seems to be un-reliable as the others posted

From the Lubuntu wiki
    Hibernation may be unavailable with automatic partitioning

The default partitioning recipe in the installer will in some cases allocate a swap partition that is smaller than the physical memory in the system. This will prevent the use of hibernation (suspend-to-disk) because the system image will not fit in the swap partition. If you intend to use hibernation with your system, you should ensure that the swap partition's size is at least as large as the system's physical RAM. (345126)

For How-To's, Information and Screen-Casts on Lubuntu go to the
    Lubuntu One Stop Thread -

Lubuntu One Stop Thread

Rodney

Beans

If the swap were less than physical memory, then the system shouldn't have been able to hibernate at all. It would have failed with "Not enough space.." error. So I don't think it is swap size problem.

@maniat1k,
    When you attempt to resume from hibernation, do you see any reasonable disk or screen activity? Or does it seem like stuck even before loading begins (very little or no disk activity at all)?

If it shows disk activity like it's attempting to resume, then freezes, it may be driver issue. But if it doesn't even attempt to resume, then it may be some disk-configuration issue.

Accordingly, please have a look at this article: http://turbulentsky.com/resume-from-...on-ubuntu.html
    Even though it was originally written for gutsy, it still seems to be helpful for some people. Go through the comments as well, especially comment no #16 on the above page.

Also, just to be sure it is not swap space problem, please post the outputs of:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and right before going to hibernate:
    Code:
    free -mt
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: hibernate stops working

Visiting my blog may help you.

I have noticed this issue mostly when 'Encrypt home folder' option is enabled during installation. Because when home folder is encrypted the swap space is also encrypted and leads to a failure when resuming Ubuntu.

Good luck.
    http://savio2010.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by Savio2010; January 15th, 2012 at 12:05 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    If the swap were less than physical memory, then the system shouldn't have been able to hibernate at all. It would have failed with "Not enough space.." error. So I don't think it is swap size problem.

@maniat1k,
    When you attempt to resume from hibernation, do you see any reasonable disk or screen activity? Or does it seem like stuck even before loading begins (very little or no disk activity at all)?

If it shows disk activity like it's attempting to resume, then freezes, it may be driver issue. But if it doesn't even attempt to resume, then it may be some disk-configuration issue.

Accordingly, please have a look at this article: http://turbulentsky.com/resume-from-...on-ubuntu.html
    Even though it was originally written for gutsy, it still seems to be helpful for some people. Go through the comments as well, especially comment no #16 on the above page.

Also, just to be sure it is not swap space problem, please post the outputs of:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and right before going to hibernate:
    Code:
    free -mt
    :~# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 cabezas, 63 sectores/pista, 38913 cilindros, 625142448 sectores en total
    Unidades = sectores de 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Tamaño de sector (lógico / físico): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Tamaño E/S (mínimo/óptimo): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Identificador del disco: 0xe430e430

Dispositivo Inicio Comienzo Fin Bloques Id Sistema
    /dev/sda1 2048 3999743 1998848 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda2* 3999744 33998847 14999552 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3 33998848 625141759 295571456 83 Linux
    :~# free -mt
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 2752 685 2066 0 11 370
    -/+ buffers/cache: 303 2448
    Swap: 1951 0 1951
    Total: 4704 685 4018
    When I try to "wake up" my laptop some disk activity I can see but with no results: also I look up on /var/log/syslog and don't see nothing strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Savio2010 View Post
    Visiting my blog may help you.

I have noticed this issue mostly when 'Encrypt home folder' option is enabled during installation. Because when home folder is encrypted the swap space is also encrypted and leads to a failure when resuming Ubuntu.

Good luck.
    http://savio2010.blogspot.com/
    I have no encyption on my home... thanks, anyway I will look at you blog's article.
    Last edited by maniat1k; January 17th, 2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: editing some details of my answer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maniat1k View Post
    :~# free -mt
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 2752 685 2066 0 11 370
    -/+ buffers/cache: 303 2448
    Swap: 1951 0 1951
    Total: 4704 685 4018
    So it clearly shows your physical memory (2752 MB) is larger than swap space (1951 MB). I don't know how you could hibernate earlier, or how your notebook even pretends to hibernate now, but this clearly is an 'insufficient swap' issue.

Accordingly, please boot with live cd, run gparted and increase swap partition's size to at least 2752 MB or more. Then reboot normally and see if hibernate works again.

PS:
    Just out of curiosity- Can you tell us for sure how much physical memories your system RAM and graphic card do separately have?
    I've never noticed it and currently don't have access to a PC with discrete graphics card to verify this, but am wondering if it is your graphic card's RAM which has been added with system memory to show up as 2752MB total physical memory.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You may also find this FAQ helpful. It helped me with a machine once:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

It's remarkably satisfying once you get the system hibernating successfully again, so goodluck!

Mike

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    [/INDENT]So it clearly shows your physical memory (2752 MB) is larger than swap space (1951 MB). I don't know how you could hibernate earlier, or how your notebook even pretends to hibernate now, but this clearly is an 'insufficient swap' issue.

Accordingly, please boot with live cd, run gparted and increase swap partition's size to at least 2752 MB or more. Then reboot normally and see if hibernate works again.

PS:
    Just out of curiosity- Can you tell us for sure how much physical memories your system RAM and graphic card do separately have?
    I've never noticed it and currently don't have access to a PC with discrete graphics card to verify this, but am wondering if it is your graphic card's RAM which has been added with system memory to show up as 2752MB total physical memory.
    Thanks for the replay! I will do that...

~# lspci -v -s 00:01.0
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9806 (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0520
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 42
    Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    I/O ports at 4000 [size=256]
    Memory at d0400000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [58] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
    Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
    Kernel modules: fglrx_updates, radeon