Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Install Ubuntu on Eee PC 1015PX (*over* Win7 Starter)

Beans

Re: Install Ubuntu on Eee PC 1015PX (*over* Win7 Starter)

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    +1! New computer, old OS, many problems.

The computer isn't "new", and the OS isn't "old":

The 1015PX was six months old when I bought it retail. Asus no doubt had it longer than that, since they offered U11 factory pre-loaded on the 1015PX until last month at least. And eight month old U10 has another year before EOL (end of life).

I'm tempted to think we've entered the age of 30 day digital obsolescence (which probably isn't far off), but the reality seems to be more a matter of hardware mfrs and code writers just plain getting too sloppy-rushed out of the new-model / new-release gates. That causes many problems - although it sure does keep a lot of idiots in work.

Nagi
    Last edited by NagiMani; March 26th, 2012 at 04:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by NagiMani View Post
    * LTS should = JFW (Just Freekin' Works) Nagi
    Well ... it SHOULD be true, which is why I still recommend trying out 12.04 in LiveUSB mode to see if it brings anything better to the table than the 10.x that you have now.

The 11.x series introduced MAJOR changes with the move to Unity and away from Gnome. The 12.x series is supposed to have made those changes more stable and be a better platform.

Which is why, given a choice, I would recommend avoiding 11.x and going with 12.x.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    I would also advise AVOIDING 11.x versions at the current time. Given the increase in resource demands due to the Unity desktop, I can not recommend them over 10.x. The recommendation you were given to stay with 10.x and then try out 12.04 to see if it works better is the way I would go.
    Quote Originally Posted by NagiMani View Post
    <snip> LTS should = JFW (Just Freekin' Works)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Well ... it SHOULD be true, which is why I still recommend trying out 12.04 in LiveUSB mode to see if it brings anything better to the table than the 10.x that you have now. The 11.x series introduced MAJOR changes with the move to Unity and away from Gnome. The 12.x series is supposed to have made those changes more stable and be a better platform. Which is why, given a choice, I would recommend avoiding 11.x and going with 12.x.

Thanks - I hear you. If Asus couldn't get U11 to work on the 1015PX, I'm not inclined to climb over their corpses to try it - not with my digital-dunce IQ. I'll wait on 12.04 and do the Live USB trial run, as suggested.

On the lighter side, the workaround was pretty funny (the USB-2-LAN-cable adapter): I'm sitting here banging my head on the screen trying to figure this out for two months; then a neighborhood whiz kid walks in, I tell him the story, he plugs his adapter in, and I'm web connected.

That's worth passing on to anyone having related LAN connection problems with U10 (1015PX; AR8151 chip; etc).

Next up on my Ubuntu train wreck agenda:
    Installing Xubuntu 10 on a five year old netbook (Panasonic Toughbook CF-R4)

Nagi
    Last edited by NagiMani; March 26th, 2012 at 05:06 PM.

Beans

FYI Only - Not a request for any further support

Final Post Mortem: U10.04 on EeePC 1015PX (Persistent Issues)

1 - LAN doesn't work (neither cable nor wireless / workaround with USB-2-LAN adapter)
    2 - openvpn doesn't work (persistent time-out)
    3 - no sound (systemic - including all apps)
    4 - keyboard characters are hybrids with antny/scim (instead of consistently one language or the other)
    5 - intermittent: duplicate icons in top panel
    - - battery icon
    - - time and date
    - - antny/scim

Nagi

Beans

Epilogue:
    U10LTS rendered the 1015PX useless - Resorted to U 11.10

Upside:
    Everything works without exception.

Downside:
    - Unity is almost as impressive as Windows 3.1 (but requires more time to optimize)
    - @Mark Phelps: You're dead-on - - Unity UI resource usage is off the charts.

Suggestion (very, very short version):
    Use U-resources to keep tweaking Gnome and make sure the LTS really work before final release.

My status:
    Waiting anxiously for U12 LTS - and hoping it has the right stuff for my 1015PX.

Nagi
    Last edited by NagiMani; April 4th, 2012 at 04:21 PM.

Beans

Preparing for probable move from 11.10 to 12 LTS, and would like to get a sense of direction from experienced users:

Should I try upgrading 11->12 (assuming that's even an option), or do a fresh install?

Nagi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unity in Ubuntu 11.10 isn't bad, it's just different. Quite good once you've spent some time with it and taken advantage of some of its good features.

You can certainly update to 12.04. If this is a very fresh install of 11.10 the update should go perfectly well. Press Control-Alt-T to bring up a terminal and run this command:

Code:
    sudo update-manager -d
    At the top of the window you'll be told that Ubuntu 12.04 is now available, and you can click the Upgrade button to upgrade.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123