Thread: Sound stopped working from laptop speakers

Beans

No sound from laptop speakers (but still works via headphone jack) Ubuntu 11.04

So, I have no idea what actually happened because just a couple of days ago everything worked just fine.

Suddenly my sound from my laptop speakers are not working at all, but the sound from the headphones jacks still works just fine.

I did have some problem with Spotify (run in Wine) which crashed a couple of times, but somehow I don't see the connection.

The problem might also have been some update, because I did run the updates at some time.

I have Ubuntu 11.04 (I run it in classic environment). I use an Dell Studio XPS 1640 and have an integrated HDA Intel soundcard.

When I add (in terminal):

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

I already have the line: options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6 added in the end of that document, and had so for a long time.

So I try to "save" that document again (to see the reaction) and get the following error message

in terminal:

(gedit:216 **: Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed:
    Failed to create file "/root/.local/share/recently-d.xbel.8WXJ4V": No such file or directory
    Last edited by NewReformist; November 14th, 2011 at 12:06 PM.

Beans

Re: Sound stopped working from laptop speakers

Anyone got a clue what I could look for?

I'm totally clueless here. There's still no sound from the speakers, but still working fine via headphone.

Beans
    Hidden!

Try booting an older kernel (if you have it). There are a bunch of "my sound suddenly stopped working" threads in the past few days.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

type alsamixer in terminal, your front speakers may be muted.

or install pulseaudio volume control and tinker with that, i'm certain it's something simple as that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
    Try booting an older kernel (if you have it). There are a bunch of "my sound suddenly stopped working" threads in the past few days.
    I did try this already and it states that the speakers are on 100 (which I guess mean they are fully on).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
    What do you mean by booting an "older kernel" (I'm sorry but I'm still quite new beginner in this).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by NewReformist View Post
    What do you mean by booting an "older kernel" (I'm sorry but I'm still quite new beginner in this).
    when you start the system you hit escape, you will be presented with boot options, choose one that is not safe, and is a different kernel version.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by inobe View Post
    when you start the system you hit escape, you will be presented with boot options, choose one that is not safe, and is a different kernel version.
    I see. But this won't harm the files etc. I already got on my computer?

So if the sound would work (for some reason) while doing this, would I have to do this all the time then and never run my system "normally"?

Beans

I'm thinking of installing Windows or re-install the whole system if I can't find out how to fix this

Beans

Old post, but, in case anyone stumbles upon thee ..

Are you switching between Analog headphones/analog speakers in the default Ubuntu system settings?

Noticed that when i didn't switch back to A.S, my laptop speakers played, then stopped randomly mid music.

Probably best to keep then om analog speakers if sound quality is not a big deal to ya'.

But i bet it is . T Here is a improved difference in the analog headphones setting. A little cleaner bass i want to say, but then again it depends on the headphones or music!