Thread: Files go to Nautlius, not LibreOffice

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Files go to Nautlius, not LibreOffice

So, since I "upgraded" to Ubuntu 11.10, every time that I try to open an odt or doc file from something like firefox's downloads, thunderbird's "saved files", or even the Dash, it brings up Nautilus at the folder the file is contained. It does NOT bring up LibreOffice and just load the file.

Essentially, this is creating a "middle-man", and wasting my time. I just want to click on a file in Firefox, or the Dash, or whatever, and have it immediately open in LibreOffice.
    Still hoping a distribution will one day be called "Stylish Skunk"...

[running on a Lenovo Thinkpad X121e]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Files go to Nautlius, not LibreOffice

To fix this do this:

Right click on an odt file an select Open with Other Application and then choose Libreoffice. That will associate Libreoffice with all odt files.

Somehow Nautilus has become associated with those files that you mentioned. Now you need to associate them with the applications that you want them to open with.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the info G. I noticed the same thing with regards to files opening in this manner. Thanks for the help. (hopefully 12.04 will address this issue.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    To fix this do this:

Right click on an odt file an select Open with Other Application and then choose Libreoffice. That will associate Libreoffice with all odt files.

Somehow Nautilus has become associated with those files that you mentioned. Now you need to associate them with the applications that you want them to open with.

Regards.
    Thanks GM, and that would make sense. However, I'd already tried that, and it hasn't fixed the problem. When I went into Nautilus and found what the default was for these files, it was already still on LibreOffice Writer.

I've tried in Nautilus:
    1. Going to odt and doc files and right-clicking on "Properties", and resetting the "Open With" that way to Writer.
    2. Going to odt and doc files and changing it to just LibreOffice, rather than writer.
    3. Using the "Open With" function instead, and doing the same two steps.

It's STILL not working. I'm at the stage where I'm thinking of just doing a complete re-install (and given my problems with 11.10, which go far beyond this, Mint 12 might be what I go with...). Having said that, I've managed to solve all the other problems, and this is the last one. So if I can find a solution and spare myself the reinstall, I'll probably take it.
    Still hoping a distribution will one day be called "Stylish Skunk"...

[running on a Lenovo Thinkpad X121e]