Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Conexant and Smartlink modem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Howto Conexant and Smartlink modem

Hi,
    I have had to revise the Howto's for installing a Conexant winmodem and a Smartlink winmodem due to some changes after installing Dapper kubuntu.
    As some of you wanted this urgently here goes: ( also note that some of this information (and drivers) may be out of date as I have not used the Smartlink modem since updating to Feisty)

Howto get Conexant HSF modem to work in Dapper Kubuntu
    Please note that this open driver used below does not work in Edgy or Feisty, the only free driver that does work is by Linuxant and is restricted to 14400 and needs registration at a fee to open up.

Conexant modems can mostly be made to work in linux by using older drivers that were open source and thus free. Do not laugh, but presently Conexant drivers are free for Windows, but have to be purchased seperately at about $15 for free linux! These purchased drivers are said to be free, but the free version only supports speeds up to14400 and if you want maximum 56k you have to pay. Below you will find two different methods for installing the open source drivers that run at the full 56k and this should work in Ubuntu Dapper and other versions, but I have only tested in Dapper Kubuntu. This came about when Rafael Espíndola ported the latest Conexant open source version to 2.6.x kernels. AlexandreOttoStrube packaged it for Ubuntu Breezy using kernel 2.6.12-9 The.deb file thus will not work on any newer kernel unless you compile it yourself as below. The files can be downloaded from http://www.surak.eti.br/linux/ubuntu/deb/conexant/ or ftp://ftp.wizzy.com/pub/wizzy/conexant/ courtesy AndyRabagliati
    Firstly to ensure you have a modem that may work with these drivers, look at the make and model of your modem, by looking at the chipset. If it shows HSF and the number CX11252 (maybe other numbers here) on the chip then you have a softmodem/winmodem/linmodem and this driver should work. You can also install it on a Windows pc and do a modem query and if it shows PCI/VEN_14F1&DEV2F00 then you know it should work.
    The best way is to use your terminal to check your Vendorevice pci id with "lspci" :
    lspci
    0000:01:0b.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem (rev 01)
    Then, type "lspci -n" and look at the same identifying numbers to get the vendor:device id
    lspci -n
    0000:01:0b.0 0780: 14f1:2f00 (rev 01)
    In this example, it's 14f1:2f00. Vendor ID is first part (14f1), then a ":" separates the Device ID (2f00).

Vendor ID's that are suported are listed here:
    Vendor id 14fi = Conexant
    8086 = Intel or Ambient
    125D = ESS Technologies/Creative
    2003 = Smartlink/Netodragon
    10B9 = ALI/Netodragon Acer Labs Incorporated

VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2F00 Tested and works on Dapper
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2F01
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2013 Tested and works
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2014
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2015
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2016
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2F10
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2F11
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2F12
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2F13
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2F14
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2F20
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=4311
    VendorID=127A : DeviceID=1025
    VendorID=127A : DeviceID=2004
    VendorID=127A : DeviceID=2005
    VendorID=127A : DeviceID=2013
    VendorID=127A : DeviceID=2014
    VendorID=127A : DeviceID=2015
    VendorID=127A : DeviceID=2016
    VendorID=127A : DeviceID=4311
    VendorID=127A : DeviceID=2114
    VendorID=8086 : DeviceID=2416
    VendorID=8086 : DeviceID=2446
    VendorID=8086 : DeviceID=2486
    VendorID=1106 : DeviceID=3068
    VendorID=10B9 : DeviceID=5453
    VendorID=10B9 : DeviceID=5457
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2043
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2044
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2045
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2046
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=2443
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=1631
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=1636
    VendorID=14F1 : DeviceID=1637

Download the following files:
    modem-hsfpci.tar.bz2 from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DialupModemH...hsfpci.tar.bz2
    conexant_192-1ubuntu-1.tar.gz from ftp://ftp.wizzy.com/pub/wizzy/conexa...buntu-1.tar.gz

This software supports the Conexant HSF 56k HSFi Modem, and was not tested with all models, anyone varifying a model to please update this with “tested and works” next to the ID list for help to others.
    As you are going to compile your own drivers it is necessary that the required files are installed, check and/or install with Synaptic that the following are there:
    build-essential, linux-headers-ARCH, debhelper and fakeroot is installed, ARCH is the result you get if typing uname -r in a terminal – version of kernel.

Method A:
    This comprises of creating a .deb file and then using that to install and configure the driver.
    1.Create a folder called HSFmodem on your Desktop and put both downloaded files in it, modem-hsfpci.tar.bz2 and conexant_192-1ubuntu-1.tar.gz
    2.Now right click on modem-hsfpci.tar.bz2 and Extract Here (in same folder) a folder and a folder modem-hsfpci-0.1 and a file HOWTO.txt will be created.
    3.No go to the konsole and enter:
    cd Desktop/HSFmodem
    ./HOWTO.txt
    and a file modem-hsfpci_0.1-0ubuntu1_386.deb will be created in folder /HSFmodem
    4.You can install it with
    sudo dpkg -i modem-hsfpci_0.1-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
    5.Go to file /etc/modem-hsfpci/modem-hsfpci.conf Right click, click Actions then Edit as Root and Kwrite should open file modem-hsfpci.conf
    Remove the comment # from your country and also from the Vendorevice ID number determined above. If your ID are not shown you can try to create it in a new line, but there is no guarentee that it will work. If you do not do this the country will default to USA and the script will try to determine the Vendor ID with lspci.
    6.Now you have to do the following to compile and install the configuration files and modules for your kernel version.
    sudo /usr/sbin/modem-hsf --install
    You should see the last line refering to modem installed and available on /dev/modem A symlink has also been created to the /dev/ttySHSF0 device.
    7.You may have to reboot. The modem can be tested in Kppp by using Modem Query on /dev/modem. If it sees it you are OK and ATI 5 should show your country code.
    8.You can uninstall by using Synaptic to completely uninstall modem-hsfpci_0.1-0ubuntu1

Note: Everytime you install a new kernel, especially after an update you will have to use the sudo /usr/sbin/modem-hsf --install command to build kernel modules for it.

It has been suggested that you also try ATW2DT instead of ATDT when setting up your dialler (Kppp).

Method B:

1.Put the downloaded file conexant_192-1ubuntu-1.tar.gz on your Desktop and right click “Extract Here” and a folder “conexant” will be created on your Desktop.
    2.Read the txt files in the folder for more info.
    3.Open the folder “conexant/modules/makefile”, right click on makefile, click Actions, then Edit as Root and Kwrite should open the file /conexant/makefile. Now find the 2 lines that start with # KERNELDIR? = /lib/modules..... etc. and KERNELDIR?= /usr/src... etc Remove the comment # in the first line and insert comment # on second line and save changes.
    4.Now open the /conexant/makefile in the same way and find the commented line # rm -rf $$DESTDIR/dev/ttySHFS0. Remove the comments from the mentioned line and the following 3 lines up to “update modules” and save changes
    5.cd Desktop/conexant
    6.make
    7.sudo make install
    8.sudo modprobe hsfserial (you should get no result report if OK)
    9.dmesg | grep hsfserial ( you should get no result report if OK)
    10.The /dev/ttySHFS0 is created for the modem
    11.To test, use the query modem on Kppp

To remove the installation:
    rm /dev/ttySHFS0
    rm -r /etc/hsf
    rm /lib/modules/ARCH/misc/hsf*

Howto get Smartlink winmodem working in edgy

Smartlink soft modems work quite well in ubuntu, but some problems have been found and the process below works in Edgy. It also seems as if the Smartlink modems with Netodragon chip MDV92XP do not work, but the ND92XPA chip works with the process below. Also read the ubuntu wiki dialupmodemhowto for details and other methods.
    Use Synaptic or Adept to ensure that you have all the necessary packages installed for compiling your drivers. This includes build-essential, linux-headers-ARCH (where ARCH is your kernel version and can be found with uname -r in the terminal), fakeroot, module-assistant and debhelper.
    Basically the sl-modem-source has to be installed first and then the sl-modem-daemon. It seems as if the latest daemon also looks for ungrab-winmodem so download and install this from the linmodem website.
    Please note that you will have to do this after everytime you update your kernel.

Method A:

This method uses the latest packages from linmodems and the latest daemon on the Edgy repository or from the Debian repositories and works well.
    1.Download slmodem-2.9.11-20061021.tar.gz fromhttp://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodem...ges/smartlink/
    This package seems to work better in breezy and dapper and does not give the dialing problem that causes the modem to fail on ATDT and not dial out.
    2.Also download and install the ungrab-winmodem from the http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodem...ges/smartlink/.
    linmodem website by using extract, make and sudo make install. (same as step 3)
    3.Copy the sl-modem-2.9.11-20061021.tar.gz file to your Desktop and right click on it and select “Extract here” and a folder wth the same name will be created with the extracted files on your Desktop.
    4.Now rename the folder to an easier name such as “slmodem”.
    5.Open a terminal and cd in to the slmodem folder or drag and drop in the terminal and select cd when asked.
    6.Type make
    7.Type sudo make install
    8.Type sudo modprobe slamr
    9.Type dmesg | grep slamr
    10.Now enable your repositories and install sl-modem-daemon_2.9.10+2.9.9d+e-pre2-5build1_i386.deb with Synaptic or Adept or download sl-modem-daemon_2.9.9d+e-pre2-7.deb from the debian website http://packages.debian.org/unstable/...l-modem-daemon if you want the latest daemon.
    11.Use Kppp to query the modem on /dev/modem, if this works you are there! If you are not using Kubuntu then just see if it works from Gnome-ppp (wvdial must first be set up)
    12.Edit /etc/default/sl-modem-daemon to change the line SLMODEMD_COUNTRY= USA to i.e SOUTHAFRICA or your country
    13.Type sudo /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon restart to restart the daemon or just reboot.
    14.If you again do a “Query modem” in Kppp and you will see that your country has changed.

Method B:
    This is the ideal way. Synaptic or adept to install sl-modem daemon and sl-modem-source as well as ungrab-winmodem as a dependancy from the repositories
    This also means that the files need to be updated for the newer versions of the kernel everytime. Unfortunately the sl-modem files on bothe the dapper and edgy repositories are long out dated and do not work. Someone needs to compile new drives from the files as in method A
    ( At the moment this fails and the sl-modem-module is not created when installing with Synaptic, the install is successful if the install is done with sudo module-assistant auto-install sl-modem, sudo depmod -a The modem is then detected but fails on ATDT and does not dial out) This problem was already noted in Breezy. We need a .deb file made from slmodem-2.9.11-20061021.tar.gz that has already been proven to work in Breezy and Dapper)
    • Also download and install the ungrab-winmodem from the http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodem...ges/smartlink/. linmodem website. Install with, extract, make, sudo make install.
    • Enable the universe/multiverse repositories
    • Use Synaptic or Adept to search for sl-modem
      You will find 2 files called sl-modem-daemon_2.9.10+2.9.9d+e-pre2-5build1_i386.deb and sl-modem-source_xxxxxx.deb (this file with xxxxxx is not ready yet)
    • Install the sl-modem-source and then the sl-modem-daemon
    • Now go to /etc/default/sl-modem-daemon, right click, Action, Edit as Root, find the line SLMODEMD_COUNTRY=USA and change the USA to SOUTHAFRICA or your country name.
    • Go to the konsole:
    • sudo modprobe slamr
    • sudo /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon restart
    • Now go to Kppp and select /dev/modem and use the Query Modem to test you modem. Now setup Kppp and go on line!
    Note: If you are going to use Kppp it is advisable that you first activate the line #noauth by removing the # comment in /etc/ppp/peers/kppp-options.

To release a locked up Smartlink modem use sudo modprobe ungrab-winmodem, then sudo modprobe slamr, then restart the daemon with sudo /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon restart. This may help you from rebooting.

Footnote:
    The daemon package shown above, whether from the debian repo or ubuntu repos works with any of the driver packages, but only the linmodem driver package slmodem-2.9.11-20061021.tar.gz seems to be the latest for the edgy and dapper kernel version. We thus need this package to be put on the ubuntu repos. The ungrab-winmodem package should also be a 'dependancy” for the daemon package and also be installed together by Synaptic.

To remove any installation go to Synaptic, search for sl-modem and uninstall completely. Then use Krusader in root mode to search for sl-modem. Double click on any found (except those in your repository or download folder) and right click for delete. This clears all left over dreggs and leftovers of a previous installation that may be causing a problem with a new sl-modem install. Be very careful before you delete anything in this way.
    Last edited by Matchless; June 18th, 2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: note on HSF conexant drivers for Edgy or Feisty
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Howto Conexant and Smartlink modem

Hi, thanks for the excellent HOWTO... works perfectly in Kubuntu Dapper.
    But how do I get this to work in Ubuntu Dapper?
    "Hello everybody... I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional...)." -Linus Benedict Torvalds' first Linux announcement on Sun, Aug 25 1991 4:57 PM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi,
    I have not used Gnome (ubuntu) since the first kubuntu hit the streets, but theoretically it should work, just use gedit to edit the files and gnome-ppp to test and use.
    If anyone out there can confirm please do.
    Thanks
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi Matchless,
    I used gedit to edit the files but I did not use gnome-ppp to test it. I used System > Administration > Networking to test it instead. I'll install gnome-ppp and see if it works. I'll report back in a few minutes.

Edit: It doesn't seem to be working. Please let me know if anyone has gotten this to work in Ubuntu.
    Last edited by maxbaggi; June 24th, 2006 at 10:55 PM.
    "Hello everybody... I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional...)." -Linus Benedict Torvalds' first Linux announcement on Sun, Aug 25 1991 4:57 PM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi,
    What modem are you tryin to install and what seems not to be working? Does the modprobe work? I am asking this as it may also be your dialler that is not working. Hve you tried pon and poff or WVdial?
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Matchless
    Hi,
    What modem are you tryin to install and what seems not to be working? Does the modprobe work? I am asking this as it may also be your dialler that is not working. Hve you tried pon and poff or WVdial?
    Hi, thanks for suggesting pon and poff. I created a connection using
    Code:
    sudo pppconfig
    It works perfectly under Ubuntu now.
    My modem is a Conexant HSF 56k HSFi Modem, I tried using gnome-ppp but that didn't work (it simply failed to dial)... and about WvDial... I think gnome-ppp uses WvDial as its backend so if gnome-ppp doesn't work then Wvdial won't work either... not very sure though.
    anyway... I have another question.
    I used Method B of your guide to get my Conexant HSF modem to work. So what do I have to do to get my modem to work again if I update to a newer kernel when it becomes available in the repository?

Thanks again for the excellent HOWTO

Edit: Additional Information about my modem

Code:
    lspci | grep Conexant
    gives the following output
    Code:
    0000:02:01.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k HSFi Modem (rev 01)
    Code:
    lspci -n | grep 0000:02:01.0
    gives the following output
    Code:
    0000:02:01.0 0780: 14f1:2f00 (rev 01)
    Last edited by maxbaggi; June 26th, 2006 at 03:21 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi,
    Do the uninstall at the bottom of method B and do a new make, make install etc. Just make sure that you have the latest updated linux-header installed, it does not normally install by default. I use Synaptic.
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi, I've been trying to follow these instructions in Ubuntu which is my first attempt at using any Linux distribution so I've nexer had to compile a driver before. I'm flying blind in the hope of getting my internal modem going.
    Using method B for the conexant modem I get the following errors.

@Robert:~$ cd Desktop/conexant
    r@Robert:~/Desktop/conexant$ make
    make -C inf
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/r/Desktop/conexant/inf'
    cc -I../modules/imported/include -I../modules/osspec/include -O2 -Wall -c -o inf2bin.o inf2bin.c
    inf2bin.c: In function ‘ProcessString’:
    inf2bin.c:236: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
    inf2bin.c: In function ‘ProcessCtryStruct’:
    inf2bin.c:393: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
    cc -o hsfinf2bin inf2bin.o
    (./preprocess.sh linux_hsfi-14f1-2f00.bin > linux_hsfi-14f1-2f00.bin.temp; ./hsfinf2bin linux_hsfi-14f1-2f00.bin.temp linux_hsfi-14f1-2f00.bin)
    (./preprocess.sh linux_hsfi-8086-24c6.bin > linux_hsfi-8086-24c6.bin.temp; ./hsfinf2bin linux_hsfi-8086-24c6.bin.temp linux_hsfi-8086-24c6.bin)
    (./preprocess.sh linux_hsfi-14f1-2f30.bin > linux_hsfi-14f1-2f30.bin.temp; ./hsfinf2bin linux_hsfi-14f1-2f30.bin.temp linux_hsfi-14f1-2f30.bin)
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/r/Desktop/conexant/inf'
    make -C modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/r/Desktop/conexant/modules'
    make -C /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build M=/home/r/Desktop/conexant/modules modules
    make: Entering an unknown directory
    make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.15-25-386/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
    make: Leaving an unknown directory
    make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/r/Desktop/conexant/modules'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    r@Robert:~/Desktop/conexant$ sudo make install
    Password:
    mkdir -p $DESTDIR/lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc
    cp modules/*.ko $DESTDIR/lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc
    cp: cannot stat `modules/*.ko': No such file or directory
    make: *** [install] Error 1
    r@Robert:~/Desktop/conexant$ sudo modprobe hsfserial
    FATAL: Module hsfserial not found.

What should I do?

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the wonderful howto!!!

Can you anybody resolve this:
    milan@ubuntu:~$ dmesg | grep hsf
    [4294685.399000] hsfosspec: module license 'Copyright (C) 1996-2001 Conexant Systems Inc. All Rights Reserved.' taints kernel.
    [4294685.998000] cnxthsf_OsFOpen("/etc/hsf/nvram.bin", "w"): error -30
    [4294685.998000] NVM_SaveAll: Could not open "/etc/hsf/nvram.bin"

Btw, modem working with no sound on my ac97. Modem model without speaker.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ok, Maxbaggi was kind enough to suggest that the most likely reason for the failure to compile was that I hadn't installed the required packages.
    I found debhelper, fakeroot and linux-headers-ARCH were missing.
    After installing these, it compiled ok and my modem was detected and setup using GNOME PPP.
    Also the command to reveal your ARCH code is “uname -r”, “uname-r” doesn't work. A space between e and – is required.

Another internal Conexant modem up and running in Ubuntu!
    Thanks to Matchless for providing this information.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast