Thread: My resolution is messed up

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

My resolution is messed up

Hi,
    My monitor cable was a bit damaged and wouldn't show the right colors at times, so I had to buy a new VGA male-to-male cable for my LCD monitor.
    I went on Amazon and they had these for like $5 - I got the cheapest one which was a "Hi-res" one, I don't know what that means though. It fits into the sockets.
    However when I boot into Kubuntu or Ubuntu the display is at a very low resolution. It's at the highest possible one, so there's no way to change it. Also the GRUB menu is at a lower resolution than before, and it's a bright blue instead of a light blue.
    It works fine in Windows, but it lags and is horrible ... wait, no, that was an existing problem!
    EDIT: I just looked back and saw that it's an HD15 VGA cable, if that makes any difference!

ANOTHER EDIT:
    When I remove the nVidia driver from use, I can get up to 1024x768, which is not the resolution I need. Then when I put it back nVidia settings says I have a CRT and I can only go up to 640x480
    Last edited by searchfgold6789; January 10th, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans
    Distro

Re: My resolution is messed up

Today I tried the Ubuntu Experimental NVidia Support Drivers. I could get up to 1024x768 but that is terrible on this screen! NVidia still thinks that this screen is a CRT, perhaps that's from before when I did have a CRT monitor.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It may be a problem with the quality of the cable. This Wikipedia article suggests, that cable quality has an influence on the resolution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

Beans
    Distro

I read that particular article, and found that it suggests the opposite:
    The same VGA cable can be used with a variety of supported VGA resolutions, ranging from 640×400px @70 Hz (24 MHz of signal bandwidth) to 1280×1024px @85 Hz (160 MHz) and up to 2048×1536px @85 Hz (388 MHz). There are no standards defining the quality required for each resolution, but higher-quality cables typically contain coaxial wiring and insulation which make them thicker.
    The cables each have the same number of pins, and I know that the cable can handle the proper resolution: When I first received the cable in the mail, I didn't turn my computer off but just switched the cable out, and the color problem was fixed and everything was normal.
    My problems arose when I rebooted. Now it only goes up to 640x480 because nvidia-settings is detecting the wrong type of monitor. I have tried reinstalling nvidia drivers with apt, and also from their website which caused Kubuntu to be entirely unbootable, with my monitor giving me an "out of range" error.

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Thanks!!! I tried the suggestion there: 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'. Nooo luck. Well I suppose I'll try switching the monitor cable now!

Beans

My laptops resolution got messed up. Basically in order to make my external monitor I installed nvidia-xconfig and that generated on xorg.conf file. My external monitor didnt work but my laptops resolution got messed up.

So I deleted the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and restarted it worked.

However, in ubuntu 12 I guess they have removed default xorg.conf file.