Page 1 of 128 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayland Live CD

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Wayland Live CD

Hi.

I posted about this earlier in the middle a thread, but it appears that the thread got jailed after an argument broke out or something.

Anyway, I know that many people are interested in testing out the new Wayland Display Server, but many people can't test it without building themselves, which can be a very difficult task.

I am working on a Wayland Live CD here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/rebeccablackos/ Right now, it does have the Wayland Display server on it, but it does not yet have the nested x server, or the Wayland versions of any toolkits that are ported to Wayland. I still need to figure out how to build those...

Wayland can work in a window under X, or it can run in a TTY. It does not work in virtual box at all, due to the drivers not supporting it, and I only tested on Intel hardware.

If you want to run it in a tty, you must run
    Code:
    sudo bash
    weston
    because sudo removes the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable, which is needed.

believe it or not, Wayland apparently already supports spanning across two monitors. I attached a picture of it running. The garbage and ghosting on the first screen is due to a faulty screen, which is going to be replaced.

As for the name of the project, yes. I AM a fan of her.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nerdopolis; January 10th, 2012 at 04:17 AM.
    The glass is at 50% of its capacity.

Beans

Re: Wayland Live CD

great.. really looking forward to it

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Good job on the Wayland thing. Keep up the good work.

You should rename it, though. A lot of people won't touch it just because of the name, for the same reasons that people don't want the Justin Bieber and Hanna Montana distros.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lucazade View Post
    great.. really looking forward to it
    There already is an early iso build, which has the Wayland display server available to run.

...but it just doesn't have some of the REALLY cool stuff thats out there for Wayland, because I need to figure out how to make a build script for those...

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Good job on the Wayland thing. Keep up the good work.

You should rename it, though. A lot of people won't touch it just because of the name, for the same reasons that people don't want the Justin Bieber and Hanna Montana distros.
    Thanks!

As for the name, I guess I just wanted to make her an Honorary Linux Distro, with the further honor of it being one of the first ones I know of with Wayland preinstalled... ...If the CD ends up more mature, I might fork it with just the default branding...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@nerdopolis

How do I get wayland or weston to run ?

I get failed nouveau and libEGL errors, I did lsmod | grep nouveau and it says its loaded.
    I didnt install it, just running the live dvd, it looks real nice though

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wayland inside X? WE MUST GO DEEPER!

Nice job, by the way. Wayland is one of the most exciting projects around at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    @nerdopolis

How do I get wayland or weston to run ?

I get failed nouveau and libEGL errors, I did lsmod | grep nouveau and it says its loaded.
    I didnt install it, just running the live dvd, it looks real nice though

Thanks
    Are you running 'sudo weston'? you need to run 'sudo bash' then just run weston, because sudo drops the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable, which is needed for it to find the custom libraries.

It only needs to be root if you are running it in a tty though. If you want to run it in a window in X, there should be an icon in the desktop folder for that.

Beans
    Distro

I tried both the icon which just bounces for a few seconds, then nothing and in a terminal with sudo bash and then weston, that when I get the libegl and nouveau errors.
    I read where nvidia cards dont work with wayland so I dont know how to try it out.
    I have a GFX6200

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    I tried both the icon which just bounces for a few seconds, then nothing and in a terminal with sudo bash and then weston, that when I get the libegl and nouveau errors.
    I read where nvidia cards dont work with wayland so I dont know how to try it out.
    I have a GFX6200
    Are you normally able to enable desktop effects, with default, non-experimental drivers? I'm only really able to test on my Intel laptop, so I don't know if this is a card thing, or if I need to do something extra for Nouveau...

Beans
    Distro

Yes, right now im using nvidia 285.05.09, lsmod | grep nvidia
    nvidia 10586487 40
    Im using ubuntu 12.04 now but I started with the nouveau driver and it was slugish.
    The Rebeca Black (KDE) said it was using nouveau and another thing that was weird is thw web browser keep saying wrong user name or password when I tried to login to ubuntu forums to write you a msg, tried 4 times so now im back on precise.
    Thanks, Im going backto RBL, maybe I should install it ?

Page 1 of 128 1231151101 ... LastLast