Page 95 of 128 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayland Live CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wayland Live CD

Looks good!

Just looked at the Maui IRC, only 12 people on it.

Beans

I am sort of guessing this is what Maui is .......... the files look the same ....... a project called Hawaii for ARCH

sort of tempted to drop the git file in to see what is happening .... looks a lot there ....... last activity about 12 days ago ...

http://www.maui-project.org/en/news/archlinux-packages/

mmmmm this is just a part of Maui then

https://github.com/hawaii-desktop/aur

http://www.maui-project.org/en/news/
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; June 5th, 2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: News added on the latest for Arch ...

Beans
    Distro

I ask on the irc about that and no answer.

I put hawaii i my manjaro and did pacman -Syu and it said hawaii 404 not found.

I would like to try it to but don't know what to do about it.

Beans

Its mentioned in that last link .... but its in Testing by the looks also the 64 bit system
    which at the moment still seems to have the CLI install ......
    * ( I quite liked the install on the i686 ) very similar now to the standard install on Ubuntu.

.... here is the [Quote]

Wayland and Weston in ArchLinux

Wayland and Weston are now provided by ArchLinux, this means the hawaii repository is not going to provide them anymore.
    ArchLinux wiki has more information about it.
    Enable testing, extra and community-testing.

Beans
    Distro

Sounds every interesting! I have a arch cd here I might try wayland with out xorg.
    Are you going that route or something else ?

Beans

I wanted to follow the road and see where it lead to ........ the thing is with my limited knowledge I soon get stuck
    but so far the things we have seen seem to show that its getting some well deserved attention - I doubt we will get away
    completely from X this year though .... but if they did there would be tons of work to do to make sure that there are no
    glitches in each and every application ....

I just like seeing what the latest and greatest is ..... seems that if the graphics are refined with all the bells and whistles
    it will show Wayland off in a good light ....... enlightenment tests already show that it can be done ..... as well as the
    Arch install ..... but at the moment that stand alone ISO maui ....... shows the capabilities to make a nice desktop
    but does not yet have the applications and programs running ...... * ( I am sort of guessing here but - without X it may be very limited )

Therefore I would expect to have to stick with X for a brief time while they manage a swap over ..... nothing wrong with running the
    apps in X ........ then in the background work on one at a time - making sure they can work seamlessly in wayland.

I am into graphics that is my main reason for having a computer - so if they can improve the graphic experience through speeding it up
    and making it more easy to control .... then at some time in the future we should see some massive changes in efficient graphics
    control ....... ( very much like video where they only change the pixels that change on a screen to create good video with small
    data transfer ....... that would be a good step to take ..... ) not sure where the gains are to be made - doing some processing outside of
    the main window - do they call it client side working out the differences from the before picture to the required one - then only changing the pixels
    that need to be changed on the main screen ...... would it be complex for the computer to do that .... who knows .......

Maybe they are already doing that ......

With the latest version of Enlightenment loaded I am already seeing some nice effects now ..... this to me is the thing that will catch peoples eyes
    and as time goes on speed of computers will get better again .... so the graphics like in the old days that pushed the limits of the processor back
    then ..... nowadays are handled easily and quickly ...... imagine 5 years from now what sort of graphics we will have.

When I look back to how we started with 16 colours and blocks for graphics ..... the old TI 99 computer my very first one ..... high res graphics it
    was said to be capable of at the time ......

Interesting how things change though - lots of good thought and ideas all being put into practice should give some nice results in the Future
    especially if they can improve the efficiency of what data really needs moving from one place to another.

I am waiting now for the x64 version to have a nice installer on Manjaro ...... then I will install that along side the 32 bit version - and then go
    for the upgrade to wayland ..... on that ..... as reading all the comments only so much is in 32 bit at this moment in time.

Trying to see where its at ......

http://www.chaosreigns.com/wiki/Wayland_State
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; June 6th, 2013 at 09:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I started with a trs-80 then Amiga 800XL and had lots of fun with basic but now I can't remember..... forgot !
    Good old days are gone but not forgotten....

Beans

Yep - http://oldcomputers.net/trs80i.html - amazing looking at that screen shot ..... graphics in the
    future may be holographic and interactive too ....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3seTl...mgQI8vsT5modPE

Did a little more on the wayland in Manjaro ..... but still stuck until the newer version comes out
    cannot risk using the text only install - it seems as if the step to boot from its own partition does not exist looking at
    the install notes .... that to me is no good as I have too much to lose.

RB have also upgraded a earlier version and still got a problem with getting the menu selections to work.

Beans
    Distro

RB have also upgraded a earlier version and still got a problem with getting the menu selections to work.
    That happen to me the first time I installed it and it wiped out my A drive...

Beans

I think for trying it out the DVD is great - but the upgrade is not going to go that well
    unless glibc is upgraded and for a lot of people that may not be quite as easy as
    it looks on paper ..........

Will maybe be best waiting for the next edition - maybe it could incorporate some of the
    later menu selection ideas that are in the Maui version - if they are free to port across
    the hard part that I do not understand is how the menu items call up the programs when
    the weston.ini has the links in ........ but then when the mouse selects them on the screen
    nothing seems to happen ..... other than errors thrown up saying it cannot execute the
    application.

Might be something to do with runtime not configured ..... last message that pops up on the boot.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...F4T64QTptoDQBw

Still will keep trying to understand where the breakdown is after the upgrade.

Where is the update-rbos file kept ? its not in all installations but found it - /usr/bin/update-rbos
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; June 6th, 2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: added search for runtime in wayland

Page 95 of 128 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast