Page 79 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 790 of 1276

Thread: Wayland Live CD

  1. #781
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    298
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Wayland Live CD

    Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    There is no little 'i' next to Jan 7 2013 or Nov ???
    The "January 7 2013" item (and November) is a folder is a link.
    Inside the folder are the two ISOs, which should have the i near them.
    The glass is at 50% of its capacity.


  2. #782
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Earth (I think)
    Beans
    87

    Re: Wayland Live CD

    nerdopolis, how is it building RBOS now vs a few months ago? Has anything gotten better (or worse) with with Wayland, or Qt, or even GTK?
    Last edited by lehjr; January 13th, 2013 at 10:13 PM.

  3. #783
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Miami FL USA
    Beans
    1,257
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Question Re: Wayland Live CD

    Well I DL it again and the checksum was right but can't get the flash drive to boot, tried unetbootin, kde's startup disk creator and dd, get errors.
    I'm going to buy some DVD's tomarrow and see If they will work.

    p.s. just looked and the jan 7 is missing now ???
    Last edited by cecilpierce; January 14th, 2013 at 02:14 AM.

  4. #784
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    298
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Wayland Live CD

    Quote Originally Posted by lehjr View Post
    nerdopolis, how is it building RBOS now vs a few months ago? Has anything gotten better (or worse) with with Wayland, or Qt, or even GTK?

    Things have gotten better. Much better. Now that Wayland is a stable protocol everything is more likely to compile.

    And as far as building my Live CD goes, I overhauled the build scripts on the last week of 2012 so that I do not have to recompile everything EVERY ISO build, cutting hours of build time down to 20 minutes.
    The glass is at 50% of its capacity.


  5. #785
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    298
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Wayland Live CD

    Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    Well I DL it again and the checksum was right but can't get the flash drive to boot, tried unetbootin, kde's startup disk creator and dd, get errors.
    I'm going to buy some DVD's tomarrow and see If they will work.

    p.s. just looked and the jan 7 is missing now ???

    January 7th is replaced with January 12th.

    DD won't work. I disable that feature from Remastersys currently with my scripts, as
    isohybrid says that the sector size is off, and some BIOSes won't like it.

    But that is interesting that the kde startup disk creator won't work for you, as I use it all the time with my distro to test it out on my spare test laptop.
    The glass is at 50% of its capacity.


  6. #786
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Earth (I think)
    Beans
    87

    Re: Wayland Live CD

    Quote Originally Posted by nerdopolis View Post
    Things have gotten better. Much better. Now that Wayland is a stable protocol everything is more likely to compile.

    And as far as building my Live CD goes, I overhauled the build scripts on the last week of 2012 so that I do not have to recompile everything EVERY ISO build, cutting hours of build time down to 20 minutes.
    That's great!! Since the CD is KDE based, which uses Qt, do you use GTK at all? Also, any thoughts on Green Island?

    Anyway, after doing a bit of reading recently, I have once again concluded that that your CD will probably be the closest thing to an official Ubuntu/Wayland incarnation for the foreseeable future, since Ubuntu is currently dependent on Compiz for Unity, and the Compiz developer Sam Spilsbury left, not that he had any intentions of porting Compiz to Wayland anyway. I know they don't want to enable the Wayland backend for GTK because they don't want to have unused dependencies, but why not at least have an alternate GTK package with the Wayland backend enabled?

  7. #787
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    298
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Wayland Live CD

    Quote Originally Posted by lehjr View Post
    That's great!! Since the CD is KDE based, which uses Qt, do you use GTK at all? Also, any thoughts on Green Island?

    Anyway, after doing a bit of reading recently, I have once again concluded that that your CD will probably be the closest thing to an official Ubuntu/Wayland incarnation for the foreseeable future, since Ubuntu is currently dependent on Compiz for Unity, and the Compiz developer Sam Spilsbury left, not that he had any intentions of porting Compiz to Wayland anyway. I know they don't want to enable the Wayland backend for GTK because they don't want to have unused dependencies, but why not at least have an alternate GTK package with the Wayland backend enabled?

    I have GTK apps in there, and KDE apps (although none of the KDE apps run native under Wayland, except for a few test ones that come with KDE Frameworks 5 that builds against QT5, as KDE has to port more apps to KDE Frameworks 5...)

    The GTK apps run native under Wayland. I'm soon to look for some more EFL 17 and SDL 2.0 apps as I build the toolkits.

    That's why the ISO is huge.


    and wow... I forgot all about Green Island. By the looks of it they have a login manager , and some apps... I'll take a look at that!
    The glass is at 50% of its capacity.


  8. #788
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    298
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Wayland Live CD

    Quote Originally Posted by nerdopolis View Post
    I have GTK apps in there, and KDE apps (although none of the KDE apps run native under Wayland, except for a few test ones that come with KDE Frameworks 5 that builds against QT5, as KDE has to port more apps to KDE Frameworks 5...)

    The GTK apps run native under Wayland. I'm soon to look for some more EFL 17 and SDL 2.0 apps as I build the toolkits.

    That's why the ISO is huge.


    and wow... I forgot all about Green Island. By the looks of it they have a login manager , and some apps... I'll take a look at that!
    Edit: it might be tough. their Wayland server I don't think has xwayland, and Weston is getting Framebuffer support soon. But I could try to add some apps they have.

    and I don't know about their login manager, it looks nice, but it requires systemd, and I don't know how easily I can integrate it with Weston.
    The glass is at 50% of its capacity.


  9. #789
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Miami FL USA
    Beans
    1,257
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Wayland Live CD

    OK, I DL the iso again and checksum was rite, KDE startup disk creator went good til 80% then gave a few errors, hit retry a bunch of times and it finally finished ok.
    Im in the new RBLOS now, thanks, Cecil

  10. #790
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Miami FL USA
    Beans
    1,257
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Wayland Live CD

    @lehjr

    Hey!
    Haven't seen you in awhile, I was looking at 'Green Island' seems very interesting, wish I could figure it out and try it but it seems complicated.

    Maybe nerdopolis will stick it in RBLOS, hint,hint!!!

Page 79 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •