Page 21 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayland Live CD

Beans

Re: Wayland Live CD

Have searched mailing lists ...... Link

Also Arch progress - Arch Link

The information I find will post - also if anybody else with any good up to date information
    could post new Links too .....

Darxus seems to be the one in the know ...... will keep watching ...... as Precise is due soon ..... LINK

Launchpad bug - add to this ...... https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....0/+bug/954352

Guess once Precise is out of the way the real development can begin ......

Already very happy with Precise and 12.04 ...... its running well on both my laptops now
    ( My Desktop machine is best with Arch though - due to it being very old with low memory a little like me )
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; March 24th, 2012 at 01:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Keith do you use unity or gnome shell in precise ?

Unity flashes off and on with both my installs ???

Have you tried to get wayland to work with arch ?
    I tried to compile it once but no luck, wonder if Chuck has tried, he likes arch alot, havent seen him aroubd much lately.

You cant be that old, im 68 going on 100, at least today after rideing 50 miles in the airboat yesterday, I ache all over

Beans

I use KDE now

Have tried to get Chuck involved .... but he seems to be tied into Arch and Gnome-Shell
    cannot blame him though .... as things on here seem to be moving so slowly ....

We once got so much done in one week .... and really kick started Gnome-shell ..... think we got it running on every distro with Chucks and the community help .....

Wayland depends so much on the developers getting things to a point where we can start to mess with it ..... as it is a few demos here and there are not building a desktop

( would love to fly in that Airboat - you are a lucky man , I have been up in a few aircraft - gliders and chipmunks - 747s even , used to be a Jig and tool designer for a Aerospace Company .... love flight and the factory I worked for started on airboats and motorbikes )

Not tried it in Arch yet ( that is wrapped in cotton wool )

Looking away from UNITY ..... building bad on bad has never appealed to me ...... but some have taken the challenge ..... it tends to work like a remote control ....

Have watched as the best have made comments about it ...... and been put into the recurring discussions

I try to be impartial ...... but its always been the same more keystrokes to do the jobs that I always do is not progress to me ......

Wayland will be the future .... and really put LINUX in the spotlight ...... but until it gets to a point where normal users can do something with it , then it will sit in the background ..... like a background process slowly churning away ......

I look forward to the future ...... but it needs people taking part and adding things to it
    UNITY ..... is meant to work across many platforms and be consistent , that is good ....

Wayland is in place to make things faster and less complicated .... main problem is they are tying to work with the old X libraries ......

New ones need creating for Wayland ...... sleek and fast ..... anything missing can be added as needed ...........

will then be a choice X or Wayland

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ch/000864.html

Think they are trying the impossible .... X and Wayland combined , will watch this space though ......

As I am only a onlooker ....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; March 25th, 2012 at 03:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro

You're gonna have to sell me on Wayland. What good is it? What does it do? etc...

I'd be willing to try it on Arch, since it's in the AUR, but need to know if it's worth the effort & why.

Between the election year buzz & making my transition to Gnome shell 3.4 I've been keeping busy.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    You're gonna have to sell me on Wayland. What good is it? What does it do? etc...

I'd be willing to try it on Arch, since it's in the AUR, but need to know if it's worth the effort & why.

Between the election year buzz & making my transition to Gnome shell 3.4 I've been keeping busy.
    Good to see your still kick'n !

With all your know-how with arch you be able to bring some p-zazz to wayland, it dont much now.

I keep loosing my extentions every time they update the shell, pain in the arss

Beans
    Distro

I can only stand on the shoulders of those that go before me Cecil. I don't have the skills to give Wayland a boost, it looks to take people that write code & actually do something.

But yeah, still kickin' it here in the sticks.

Beans
    Distro

Well you did so much with arch I thought you could get something out of it, I tried and failed but I only know about 2 cents worth of programing.
    Let us know if you come up with anything.

Beans

I can only stand on the shoulders of those that go before me Cecil. I don't have the skills to give Wayland a boost, it looks to take people that write code & actually do something.

But yeah, still kickin' it here in the sticks.
    Good comment .... me too .....

I do respect all the hard work that goes into making this all come together .....

Well you did so much with arch I thought you could get something out of it, I tried and failed but I only know about 2 cents worth of programing.
    Let us know if you come up with anything.
    Me too Cecil .... and when anybody comes up with something - we can then start pulling the problems out
    and attack them one by one ...... ( only way to get things done .... )

start off with one brick .... put another on top of it ......

If it starts to look right continue ...... ( but at the moment the bricks still seem to be on the truck )
    and we appear to have some rubble in place that may need to be made tidy before anything can
    start ....... or we clear the foundations and build on a new base .... ( IMHO always a good bet ..... )

Not sure I can sell Wayland to you at the moment though ....

Phoronix seems to be saying the most about it .... some is negative though ...
    and I try not be negative - this is one of many reports - others are on my home page in Ubuntu ...
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._wayland&num=1

What does it do ..... at the moment - it runs some QT demos ..... some work and some crash .....

Not sure - suck it and see ....... give us some results back and we will go from there ...

My Arch install is just being upgraded now .... so then I will see if the AUR things will load in ok
    will work from this on Arch - Arch Link

Ubuntu will try once I know there is a new update .... from RBv3 to RBv4
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; March 26th, 2012 at 08:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Something went wrong with arch-bang, wasnt paying attention, wife had me washing clothes

ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build mesa-full-wayland

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    Something went wrong with arch-bang, wasnt paying attention, wife had me washing clothes

ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build mesa-full-wayland
    What method did you use to try & install it Cecil? If you downloaded & tried to build with makepkg you should use this:
    Code:
    makepkg -csi
    But I like using yaourt, it will search the repos & AUR to fill needed dependencies. The makepkg method I use will also get required dependencies, but only from the repos.

To install from the repo or AUR yaourt just needs the name, ex.
    Code:
     yaourt -S wayland

Page 21 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast