Page 14 of 128 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayland Live CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wayland Live CD

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Since I settled on Arch & Gnome shell it's all pretty boring, leaves me time for other things.
    Yep, I know what you mean, been getting headaches with all this.

Watchung alot of old movies on TV, all I have out here on the front room is antena tv but lot of good ole stuff.

The weather and the price of gas is cramping my bike riding, its 12 miles to the beach where I ride and the truck gets 10 mpg plus a cup of coffee, thats about ten bucks !

Beans

Problem is of the 3 computers I have and use .....

1 The only install of Arch I have is on my old Desktop computer and runs flawless I am a little bit careful with this and its wrapped in cotton wool so to speak as it really did revive my very old desktop computer ...... this is not on the Net and it rarely gets touched nowadays

2 I can only install Arch to the main sda1 drive for some reason and that gives me problems on my laptops ...... as one has no main HD drive in it anymore ..... it just has a external USB hdd ... thats the Acer Aspire z7730 ..... the other internal hd in it overheated and then failed so I took it out and never bothered putting a new one back into it.

3 The new one I have is the Asus with hybrid integrated graphics card ....
    I have windows7 and Ubuntu on this ....

Usually when Arch goes on .... it works and uses the old grub better for some reason.
    I am not keen on changing too much on this at the moment as everything on it is running as I want .......

As you can probably tell ..... No 2 .... the Acer Aspire is my test machine and this I have linked to a 32 " TV as the backlight has also failed on the main screen to it .... lols
    its very heath robinson now ..... no internal HD no laptop screen ..... and no way of seeing a boot menu when it boots up ..... you would laugh if you saw how crazy it has become to keep this one going ..... but I am typing from it now and its my favourite machine.

I have not posted a lot as I have been busy readying on C++ and trying to get the compiler for QT5 ...... this I managed last night and is running .....

I have also created a QT form with slots and signals ..... that almost works as I want
    but I do not understand how the void ..... works for the input yet .... only one of 3 actually gives me what I want from it ......

Its still appearing in a X window even though I used QT5 to compile and make it ..... need to
    know how to get things into wayland - some demos do and some dont !!!!

I rarely seek help as I like working things out myself - harder but often drives home the problems and possibilities with things - may have to with this though as my patience and understanding of how all the files work together is not sinking in yet.

The Demos I have gone through one by one and some are quite good - the thing is often there is no border to the applications ..... and the exit needs building into each one.

Otherwise its control C to get out of them ......

Still loving this though .... and will try to post some more things - its just difficult to do at the moment .... as most of the things are problems - that are not easy to explain and this thread needs to be to show Wayland off to its best and work a way out to get a really nice desktop working ..... looking at QT quick and QT 3d ..... really does show that there could be some very nice features here ..... it needs building slowly and carefully to use them to the best advantage though .....

Not sure how many Desktop programmers are watching this thread - but would have though it is a ideal playground for thoughts ideas and test models .....

My understanding of programming is limited .... but am giving it a go to see where it leads ..... keep doing little by little .......

Building new applications using QT5 seems to be the way to go ..... but not many will have this installed I doubt ..... it takes 1.5 hours to make .... mine got done last night so am just going to have a go tonight with existing demos and examples .....

Would love to see others having a go and posting their finds and results on here ..... there are more and more threads and some videos appearing on You Tube now .... but its constant searching for things that takes the time .....
    ok all for now ..... but my main thing is 3D design ..... never was that good at programming but will give it a shot.

Yep, I know what you mean, been getting headaches with all this.
    @ Cecil - me too - but its all good fun ,,,,

@ Chuck - get involved with this ..... love bouncing ideas back and forth and you have the skills to organize (people and things) to get things going ..... would love to get a proper desktop on this or a dock ....

Just tried cairo-dock and docky ...... cairo-dock attempts to do something then goes into a loop constantly restarting over and over ....... docky appears in the normal X window ... but not in wayland ..... will try AWN .... just seeing what things do and what
    errors they give back at the moment .... just thought I would update this ... in case anyone is interested.
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; February 17th, 2012 at 12:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Keith which version are you running?
    I lost all my stuff when the power supply crapped out and starting over with wayland, I have so many dvd's here, Im lost

Guess I will dl the latest one huh ?

Beans

Its the second download I am using ...... v2 .....
    v3 is the one with choice of full desktop as Wayland or X .....

I found X was only one that ran properly ( opening a Wayland terminal and desktop in it ) and seeing that it looked no different on the latest Dvd I never bothered to install that one .....

Wayland full desktop - there was no mouse pointer for me - let us know how it goes ....

* ( but if you do install the latest it should be ok with Nvidia running wayland under the X window after start up ...... )
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; February 17th, 2012 at 04:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I did both and the installer died with 'configuring target system 20%' so not sure what the deal is.
    Maybe nerdopolis will come up with a new one soon

Beans
    Distro

I must have installed the ones that dont work,

I had one good one before the HD crash but it was on a usb stick and got wiped.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Which nvidia driver are you loading in .... Cecil .....

I think it will only work using the nouveau driver

mine looks like this when I view additional drivers

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5222/waylando6s.jpg
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; February 17th, 2012 at 06:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I just dl the 2-11-12, is that the one you have?

Im using nouveau I guess ! ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Wow love that layout ..... and background ......

Yep I guess so - how can I tell what date ...... all I know is since I came on here
    I downloaded 3 .....

I use the second one in blue .... it has 3 boxes/icons in the top bar.

The third being the very last one .....

The second one ..... had 3 boxes top left in the main top bar ......
    *terminal *xwindow *window-in-window

The first DVD I used .... had only 2 boxes top left in the main top bar .....
    one for a *terminal and one for a *X window

Beans
    Distro

I wonder if nerdopolis has a ppa we could use to upgrade things ?
    Seems like the first RBL I install, I put gnome-shell and lxdm and after that the wayland suff started to work ??? I cant remember what I did to get it working right, I need to start taking more notes, if I wait more then 10 secs I forget what I was going to write

OH! I wanted to ask you how you out that pic of the screen in the middle of your text ?

Page 14 of 128 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast