Thread: Maverick Meerkat software sources

Beans

Question Maverick Meerkat software sources

I recently installed ubuntu 10.10 on my old notebook. It works well, but i have a little problem. All the programs from maverick repository are outdated. I want to install updated programs. Is it safe to add the oneiric repositories in software sources. What should i do

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Maverick Meerkat software sources

I would look for some PPA's that have specific apps you want to update, if possible. Using another versions entire repository would likely bork the system unless you never did any upgrades besides specific app upgrades one by one. I'd think you would have some libs and other OS related upgrades available when you add new repos, including kernel and other critical files. With Unity in the mix in 11.10 and not in Maverick you could end up with an unsightly mess, but if you have the time and inclination it could be fun to find out.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by PinguyOS View Post
    I recently installed ubuntu 10.10 on my old notebook. It works well, but i have a little problem. All the programs from maverick repository are outdated. I want to install updated programs. Is it safe to add the oneiric repositories in software sources. What should i do
    i suggest , its better to go for upgrade of distribution for better and safe updates.
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

I don't want to update to 11.10 because i like very much maverick. It' s extremely stable,
    fast and uses only 2gb of hdd. I would like to ask if it is a good idea to add the oneiricPPA in software sourcess. Will it crash my sistem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It is a very bad idea to mix repositories from distro versions. You can certainly do it, but the results will probably break your system...things like Xorg, Gnome versions and other critical pieces will be incompatible with older libs.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by TBABill View Post
    It is a very bad idea to mix repositories from distro versions. You can certainly do it, but the results will probably break your system...things like Xorg, Gnome versions and other critical pieces will be incompatible with older libs.
    +1

I agree with you man , that operation leads to system break.
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.