Thread: Gnome-terminal and in fact every terminal does not display monospace fonts correctly

Beans

Gnome-terminal and in fact every terminal does not display monospace fonts correctly

Hi ,
    I was just wondering why non of the terminals ( for example gnome-terminal ) are
    rendering non fixed-width fonts properly like other programs such as gedit and nautilus?
    For reference purposes I have attached a picture using Purisa font with terminal/gedit/nautilus notice how in the terminal the spacing between letters is messed up such that it is hard to read. especially the sequences of Dr, me, Do (pretty much anny letter after D or M). Is there a way to display this fonts properly ?
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Gnome-terminal and in fact every terminal does not display monospace fonts correc

Quote Originally Posted by kirilp View Post
    Hi ,
    I was just wondering why non of the terminals ( for example gnome-terminal ) are
    rendering non fixed-width fonts properly like other programs such as gedit and nautilus?
    For reference purposes I have attached a picture using Purisa font with terminal/gedit/nautilus notice how in the terminal the spacing between letters is messed up such that it is hard to read. especially the sequences of Dr, me, Do (pretty much anny letter after D or M). Is there a way to display this fonts properly ?
    Thanks.
    Hm... I guess I didn't even know the terminal supported other fonts. I don't know that there is a fix for this; the terminal really hasn't been engineered for good looks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Gnome-terminal and in fact every terminal does not display monospace fonts correc

Because it's a terminal... If you run a command like 'ls -l' to top or anything ncurses, they would break. Almost everything in the terminal is expecting rows/columns and fixed-with fonts are necessary for this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by xyzzyman View Post
    Because it's a terminal... If you run a command like 'ls -l' to top or anything ncurses, they would break. Almost everything in the terminal is expecting rows/columns and fixed-with fonts are necessary for this.
    Correct, and the Title of this thread is totally wrong. The Terminal *does* displaying fixed-width ("monospace") fonts correctly, it cannot display variable-width fonts in columns.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Hi all , thanks for the quick reply's , your answers make sense and I did make a typo in the name of the thread.

Beans

By the way I found a terminal that does render variable width font correctly
    here is the link http://software.jessies.org/terminator/#downloads