Thread: No line numbers in NetBeans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

No line numbers in NetBeans

Hey guys,
    Hope someone can help for me as this fault starts to really annoy me:
    NetBeans won't show the line numbers even though the Show Line Numbers is enabled in the View menu.
    thx in advance,
    gesti

PS. I use Ubuntu 11.10 and NetBeans 7.0.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: No line numbers in NetBeans

perhaps try updating the IDE.

I am running 11.10 and netbeans 7.0.1 this instant, and i just went view show line numbers and they dissappeared, then i turned them back on the same way. you can also right click on where they are meant to be and click show line numbers.

The only difference is that I initially installed this machine as 11.04 then installed netbeans 7.0.0 and upgraded both netbeans and 11.10. but i have no problems.

Product Version: NetBeans IDE 7.0.1 (Build 201107282000)
    Java: 1.6.0_23; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 20.0-b11
    System: Linux version 3.0.0-12-generic running on amd64; UTF-8; en_NZ (nb)
    Userdir: /home/daryl/.netbeans/7.0
    Last edited by dazman19; January 10th, 2012 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Added some user information
    Uses: Jaunty J 9.04 & Maverick 10.10

Beans
    Distro

Well the upgrade to NB 7.1 didn't help. Couldn't turn the line number on neither from the View/Show line number nor from right clicking where the number meant to be and tick in the local menu the Show line numbers. Now thinking about this the upgrade didn't help 'cos I imported the old NB's settings.
    I had them on for some time, but then I think when I installed the jVi plug-in (this gives you loads of vim/vi goodies in the editor) was the time when they disappeared.
    So I started to poke around in the configuration files of NB and finally found the setting that turned the line number back on:
    in this config file: ~/.netbeans/7.1/config/Editors/text/x-php5/Preferences/org-netbeans-modules-editor-settings-CustomPreferences.xml (this gives the preferences for the editor when editing PHP files)
    There I had these lines:
    Code:
        <entry javaType="java.lang.Boolean" name="line-number-visible" xml:space="preserve">
            <value><![CDATA[false]]></value>
        </entry>
    so by removing this entry from the file finally gave back the control over the Show/Hide line numbers in the IDE.
    Only their disappearance showed me how important are the line numbers hurray for line numbers!
    PS. uninstalling the jVi plug-in didn't help, as it left the settings behind...
    Last edited by gesti; January 10th, 2012 at 12:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Now, just if someone would find this thread again here is the correct solution:
    http://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=207662#c4
    In menu to set it to default:
    Tools / Options / jVi Config -> General -> 'number' 'nu' <-- [tick this]