Thread: How to install Yahoo Messenger on Ubuntu 11.10

Beans

Smile How to install Yahoo Messenger on Ubuntu 11.10

Hi Ubuntu Forums,

I just installed Ubuntu 11.10 a day ago and i was wondering how can i install yahoo messenger and other programs..? a tutorial an advice i think a lot of people need this !?

I know i have to use Wine but how

And talking about games? what games work on ubuntu 11.10?

Yours Sincerely,

The new Ubuntu User 100% One.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How to install Yahoo Messenger on Ubuntu 11.10

Like I said in the PM, which ever Instant Message program is installed by default will be able to handle Yahoo. I know that I used Yahoo IM with Pidgin but that was a few releases ago. I am using Lubuntu now and have been away from Ubuntu for a while with the exception of 10.04.
    Rex
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Bouwense View Post
    Like I said in the PM, which ever Instant Message program is installed by default will be able to handle Yahoo. I know that I used Yahoo IM with Pidgin but that was a few releases ago. I am using Lubuntu now and have been away from Ubuntu for a while with the exception of 10.04.
    What is Lubuntu and does Ubuntu need codecs for video?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by BNick View Post
    What is Lubuntu and does Ubuntu need codecs for video?

Lubuntu is Ubuntu that uses LXDE desktop environment as opposed to default GNOME.

Yes it does need the video codecs. you will get them if you install restricted extrass package from the software center.

you install programmes via software center.

If they aree not there then you need a PPA (personal package archive) or a .deb file (kind of like exe file) or you need to complie it yourself using instructions found in the programme code. usually it involves copying a few commands to terminal.

Regarding YahooIM, you can't install it in linux. Pidgin though good is poor substitute. there is a project aimed at bringing yahoo IM functionality to linux. it's now called gyache improved: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gyachi/

this is the most compatible with YahooIM and at the same time best alternative to yahooIM. instructions on installation procedure are found inside the .tar file.

games that are linux based work in Ubuntu. Some windows games work with various degree of success using wine (or play on linux or crossover - all WINE frontends): http://appdb.winehq.org/

however most modern windows games won't work or will work with limited graphics. Linux is still not a good gaming platform due to poor support of software makers and also OpenGL is not as good as DirectX at the moment. for modern windows games using windows is bets option. or console if they have a console version of the game.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi Actually Ubuntu have IM's Pidgin,Empathy and more .

You can use those IM's for Yahoo , google,facebook and more.

Lubuntu is nothing But another Ubuntu Distribution but with different Environment.
    In Ubuntu we do have Gnome
    in Kubuntu -> KDE
    in Xubuntu->Xfce
    in Lubuntu -> LXde

All are same but with different environments .So right now are you looking for a Video calling IM or something else ?

Installing programs you can easily do from software center.

For games look here
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ga...reeUbuntuGames
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

Last edited by anshulfy; January 9th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.