Thread: "User Friendliness"

Beans

"User Friendliness"

What a stupid buzzword. Given a half hour with any os I believe anyone who has used computers a decent amount in the last 10 years or so will be able to figure it out. And if you haven't used a computer in the last 10 years you are probably a lost cause ie grandparents. Modern operating systems are about as simple as they get in terms of usablility nowadays. Does anyone else agree with me?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: "User Friendliness"

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    What a stupid buzzword. Given a half hour with any os I believe anyone who has used computers a decent amount in the last 10 years or so will be able to figure it out. And if you haven't used a computer in the last 10 years you are probably a lost cause ie grandparents. Modern operating systems are about as simple as they get in terms of usablility nowadays. Does anyone else agree with me?
    +1 i agree but i come across people everyday who only know how to get on facebook and twitter....
    Last edited by pr3zident; January 10th, 2012 at 02:54 AM.
    My Big Ol Python.PY

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

OS is one thing. What you're looking at and working with on a day to day basis though is a desktop environment. I use Xfce and think it is very friendly. Gnome is fine too. I think Unity is very unfriendly and KDE is a disco and not for me. But that's me and others think the opposite or differently, so ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    And if you haven't used a computer in the last 10 years you are probably a lost cause ie grandparents.
    A lost cause? - You may be surprised to know how many grandparents are seasoned computer users -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by blinkincat View Post
    a lost cause? - you may be surprised to know how many grandparents are seasoned computer users - :d
    +1.14159

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    +1.14159
    + 1.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 1058209749445923078164
    my grandparents are quite modern to this (seen much worse cases at school with the teachers..)
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I do think people often mistake "pretty" for "user-friendly" or use "user friendly" as a substitute for "familiar."

But the term "user-friendliness" can also be (though it seldom is) a useful signifier. If 0 means "impossible to use" and 100 means "user-friendly in every conceivable way," I'd say most operating systems are somewhere between 80 and 90, so people criticizing things as not user-friendly are usually splitting hairs.

That said, there are hairs to split, and if you create a user interface, you should look at usability issues and address them, so you can get closer to 100.

For example, let's say you have a touchscreen operating system (for phones and other handheld devices). You could make it so that people have to press an extra key or tap into a text box to get the keyboard to pop-up. Or, you could have the OS be "smart" enough to know "Hey, there's a text box, and that's the only thing available on this screen. There's a slideout keyboard, but it's not slid out. Why not pop up the onscreen keyboard and put the text box in the focus?" That's user-friendliness--anticipating what is the most common action for users and not making them go through extra steps to get there.

Or let's say you have a dialogue box that has Yes, No, and Cancel, and No deletes everything a user has done. Making the No option a different color or physically distant from the other two choices (since it is the most destructive option) is more user-friendly, because it makes it so users are less likely to accidentally click on it.

I've noticed that in some interfaces, they've moved away from "Are you sure?" for deleting things and they just delete things and then give you the option to undo. This is also more user-friendly, because most of the time when people want to delete things, they do, so you're creating an extra step (confirming) for the least likely scenario. You're also not interrupting the user's workflow. If she wants to undelete, she can make the choice to do so, but there isn't an extra click needed to delete in the first place.

Hm. Another example. In Google Plus right now, if you're in the middle of tagging a photo, it'll say you can tag the photo or press Escape to cancel. Well, pressing Escape closes the photo completely instead of just cancelling the tagging process. A bit counterintuitive there.

Or if you change which circles you want to share with in Google Plus, there will still be a drop-down menu obscuring the Share button below it. This means you have to do an extra click outside of the box in order to get to the Share button.

Some general guidelines for user-friendliness:
    1. Have defaults that make the most common action easiest with extra options that allow the user to do other actions
    2. Keep dialogues and interface simple but also allow, for power users, the option for a more complicated backend to tweak things
    3. If the user is using a mouse to navigate, do not make it so that the user has to carefully fine-tune mouse navigation in order to select the desired click option
    4. Be consistent--what's "intuitive" has a lot to do with what a user has seen before and expects to have happen
    That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but user-friendliness does (or can), in fact, mean something. And I see user-unfriendly interfaces all the time (and that's in Mac OS X, Windows, Ubuntu, iOS, and Android). No one should rest on her laurels.

Beans

Thread started with an insult.

Thread closed here without one
    This account is not active.