Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leagacy of Steve Jobs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unhappy Leagacy of Steve Jobs

Hello,

This is a facinating story about the iPHONE factory: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...-apple-factory

- CH
    Linux Registered User #434330

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Leagacy of Steve Jobs

We've got one who can see. :0

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Pick up the item closest to you. Where is it from? China most likely. Do you think that the factory that it was made in is any better than an Apple factory? People like to pick on Apple for various reasons, but your average third world factory is a pretty horrendous place to work Id imagine. The only way for things to improve for the factory workers is for you to pay more. Capitalism! High five!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Pick up the item closest to you. Where is it from? China most likely. Do you think that the factory that it was made in is any better than an Apple factory? People like to pick on Apple for various reasons, but your average third world factory is a pretty horrendous place to work Id imagine. The only way for things to improve for the factory workers is for you to pay more. Capitalism! High five!
    Too true most of the actual hardware bits in apples machines are manufactured by other well known companies - intel, samsung, toshiba - where do you think these parts are made?

It's easy to taget Apple for their pricing, but you have to take into account their R&D; their a bit like merc cars - they supply the hardware with the OS and do tend to adopt the new stuff faster than the rest of the PC world - openfirmware, then efi over bios, APT then GPT over MBR, firewire over usb (first gen) thunderbolt (current) retina display (iphone).

It's very true that you don't get the hardware specs for the money ith apple over pc - especially DIY, but you're really paying for their massive R&D - their releases over the lat 15 years have shaped mp3 players, smart phones, netbooks, small screen laptops. Do they sell you an image? ofcourse they do! If you're going to charge 2000 for a laptop you'd better be - there aren't that many rich geeks in the world!

As for their treatment of the people at the bottom is it bad? darn skippy it is, do I wish the cost of my last 1mac 18months ago meant that the people soldering it's chips together got 4 weeks holidaty and an hour for lunch of course I do... but the cold hard reality is that every large company does it - share holders, profit margins etc.

Apple are sucessful, so target, 10 years ago it was MS truth is I'd probably not like to play golf with any fortune 500 CEO. these things always come around and go around. I just wish apple would sell OSX for PC... have done for 13 years! I don't buy an imac 'cause of the design or whatnot - I'm not bringin people into my home office just to go "oo pretty", but that's the deal, take it or leave it.

Live and let live.. if you don't like something don't buy it if you do, do, simples

I've never really got why these things get people so wound up, but I can forsee the thread evenutally getting closed due to flaming

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by jjex22 View Post
    Too true most of the actual hardware bits in apples machines are manufactured by other well known companies - intel, samsung, toshiba - where do you think these parts are made?

Not just Apple's machine, but anyone's machines these days. About the only thing made in the US in any computer these days is that actual CPU/GPU.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dpny View Post
    Not just Apple's machine, but anyone's machines these days. About the only thing made in the US in any computer these days is that actual CPU/GPU.
    And even that is a long shot. From the back of my i5 box:
    Intel processors are assembled in one or more of the following countries: Costa Rica, China, Malaysia, the Philippines, and the USA.
    My guess is that a lot more of them are made in places outside the US.

According to Wikipedia, AMD makes there chips in Germany and Taiwan.

Beans
    Distro

And even that is a long shot. From the back of my i5 box:

My guess is that a lot more of them are made in places outside the US.

According to Wikipedia, AMD makes there chips in Germany and Taiwan.
    Interesting. Far as I knew all the chip fabs were in the US. Perhaps they send the wafers abroad for final assembly?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dpny View Post
    Interesting. Far as I knew all the chip fabs were in the US. Perhaps they send the wafers abroad for final assembly?
    To be honest, theres absolutely no reason why the chips have to be made in the US. Some factory worker in Bangladesh could make them just as easily as a guy in Michigan. Only difference is the guy in Bangladesh will do it for a fraction of the cost.

Beans
    Distro

To be honest, theres absolutely no reason why the chips have to be made in the US. Some factory worker in Bangladesh could make them just as easily as a guy in Michigan. Only difference is the guy in Bangladesh will do it for a fraction of the cost.
    I thought it was more of a technology export control thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast