Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Due to the old PC running Ubuntu 11.10 IBM ThinkPad G40

Beans

Smile Help Due to the old PC running Ubuntu 11.10 IBM ThinkPad G40

Look, I recently upgraded my old computer that I used it a few years IBM ThinkPad G40 sample Ubuntu .... And I have some problems as follows:
    1. The volume keys do not work .. Only through the mouse to select keys that are ready ..... Moe
    2. I need driver to my wireless network card type: D-link DWL-650 and know how to use (I'm new in Ubuntu
    3. I can not open the software UBUNTU center every time I turn it on he did not go even if I click a million times .. And all the other software .. so I opened

Hope help thank you all!

Beans

Re: Help Due to the old PC running Ubuntu 11.10 IBM ThinkPad G40

Please someone.... what can I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

1) are the volume keys the type where you must press the "fn" button to change the volume? This is a common problem with laptops.
    2)Is there a green pci-card looking icon in the system tray at the top right corner of the screen? If there is, this is where you can sort out your driver problems.
    3) Can you install software with something like "sudo apt-get install vlc" in terminal? This command will ask you for password then install vlc.

Your answer to these questions will help to solve your problem.
    Live long
    Registered Ubuntu user #34794
    Registered Linux user #551518

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPotato View Post
    1) are the volume keys the type where you must press the "fn" button to change the volume? This is a common problem with laptops.
    2)Is there a green pci-card looking icon in the system tray at the top right corner of the screen? If there is, this is where you can sort out your driver problems.
    3) Can you install software with something like "sudo apt-get install vlc" in terminal? This command will ask you for password then install vlc.

Your answer to these questions will help to solve your problem.
    Live long
    1.Even if I press the FN is not working ..
    2.the Pci-card icon is white.. not green..
    3.I can not even open the terminal .. All other software works fine .. I am looking for him in Dash and as I click Open nothing happens ... how can I open the TaskManager?
    Thanks for help!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

1) play around with the files in the directory /etc/acpi but MAKE BACKUPS FIRST. Edit the shell scripts and see what happens (thats how I fixed mine).
    2) Type in "additional drivers" in the unity launcher (top left corner) to get your additional drivers window up and ubuntu will suggest your options to you.
    3) Terminals can be opened with ctrl+alt+t or going to the launcher (super key, or the icon in top left corner) and typing terminal.
    Registered Ubuntu user #34794
    Registered Linux user #551518

Beans

I deleted my current password and the account administrator is no password .. And it asks password what can I do?
    Never mind I will format my computer agian and I will start everything from the begining.. after that I'll try Your suggestions
    Last edited by IdanSuper; January 8th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.

Beans

After formatting I dismissed the issue of the Ubuntu Software Centre .. What I would do if the other problems? For the volume keys I do not know so well what else can help thank you?
    And the additional drivers program said:no proprietary drivers are in use on this system
    Last edited by IdanSuper; January 8th, 2012 at 07:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

For a laptop around that age I would suggest giving xubuntu or lununtu a try. I used to have a toshiba laptop that was about that age and it just wouldn't run ubuntu at all. But it worked great with xubuntu. I havent tried lubuntu my self but I've heard good things about it from some people.
    Last edited by silverhaze06; January 8th, 2012 at 08:34 PM.

Beans

I agree, you should try lubuntu for a comp of that age. its a great operating system for older machines. its not as advanced as ubuntu and doesn't look as nice but as far as compatibility and actual usage go. it really hits the nail on the head.

Beans

OK.. I'll try Xubuntu and I start to install it.. is my D-link DWL-650+ network card work out of the box?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast