Thread: what do I need smtp server for?

Beans

what do I need smtp server for?

I have a vps with Ubuntu server and I have set up Postfix because I want to use my domain for email though it's just for forwarding:
    info@mydomain.com --> my.main.email@gmail.com
    I don't use my server for sending emails or Thunderbird or so.

my question is do I really need smtp server? can I block access to my smtp port (25)?
    this is because I'm not really sure that I have secured my smtp server enough.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: what do I need smtp server for?

If all you're going to use your Postfix installation for is forwarding emails, and you're not expecting mail from outside your network, you can safely leave port 25 closed.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Yes we should keep mail server of if your always using the Postfix. It is always safe to keep most ports off till you don't really know why it is open.

Beans

Red face Re: what do I need smtp server for?

ok! I did az you told! I ran this:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 25 -j DROP

But now when I send an email from "my.email@hotmail.com" to "info@mydomain.com" , I don't get it at "my.main.email@gmail.com" as before!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

By closing port 25 you just blocked smtp which is the default port for most services like Hotmail. You will need it open to receive mail from outside mail servers.
    Last edited by dirtrider1; January 7th, 2012 at 11:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you're running your own server from home, the only ports that you should open are the ones that you are actually using: http,https,control panel.

You shouldn't ever close the smtp port because then no one on your network will be able to send mail. Just because something is there, that doesn't mean you have to actually use it. You don't need it, just let it be.
    "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works. "-Steve Jobs
    Question everything

Beans

If you close inbound port 25, you'll also make it impossible for remote serves to send administrative messages like non-delivery notices in response to the mail you send.