Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installed Radeon Driver and Locked out of Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unhappy Re: Installed Radeon Driver and Locked out of Ubuntu

Unfortunately, it looks as though a reinstall may be forced. From my own experience with 10.04.4-LTS with backported Kernels from later releases (I currently use Kernel 3.0, package: linux-image-generic-pae-lts-backport-oneiric), to my understanding as of 6 January 2012, Advance Micro Devices® has yet to catch up with the LinUX Kernel Project on drivers for the R700-and-later series GPU's on Kernels 3.0-up; a Windows driver installed in error (as AMD® does fully support the Radeon® HD 6000 Series in Microsoft® Windows® Se7en 7.0.80xx and Server 2008 Release 2 6.1.76xx) could very well be enough to lock up the system.

The Live CD, fortunately, should allow recovery of whatever is in the /home subdirectory of the borked-11.10-install partition on the hard drive prior to reformat and reinstall.
    Gigabyte® GA-MA78GM-S2HP (AMD® Athlon 64® X2 5600+ MPU, RS780G NB, SB710 SB)
    Audio: ASUS® XONARESSENCESTX/A (PCIe, C-Media® CMI-8788 via PCIe-PCI bridge)

Beans

Re: Installed Radeon Driver and Locked out of Ubuntu

Thanks for all your support but since I can't even get into recovery mode, I had to reinstall ubuntu with the option "Upgrade 11.10 to 11.10" which worked fine for me.

And Just to Say, my laptop is all fine for ubuntu if I forget about graphics card in my laptop.
    HP pavilion g6-1037tx ATI Radeon 6470 HD graphics card

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

After doing some searching around, it seems others are able to use the proprietary driver with similar machines.

Does this machine have a dual graphics card arrangement?
    My Blog
    Ubuntu Help Pages I'm constructing: AMDGPU and AMDGPU-PRO
    Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

The additional driver provided by ubuntu does work to some extent, but not so good.
    In windows 7, I could switch graphics from ati radeon to power saving gpu.
    Is this dual graphics card management ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Exclamation Re: Installed Radeon Driver and Locked out of Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheKojuEffect View Post
    The additional driver provided by ubuntu does work to some extent, but not so good.
    In windows 7, I could switch graphics from ati radeon to power saving gpu.
    Is this dual graphics card management ?
    As I previously stated, as of 8 January 2012, Advance Micro Devices® has yet to catch up with the LinUX Kernel Project on drivers for Kernels 3.0-up. The Catalyst™ Control Center (package: fglrx-amdcccle), which is capable of managing multiple Radeon® HD™ series GPU's, works only up to Kernel 2.6.38, meaning that it will not function in Oneiric.
    Gigabyte® GA-MA78GM-S2HP (AMD® Athlon 64® X2 5600+ MPU, RS780G NB, SB710 SB)
    Audio: ASUS® XONARESSENCESTX/A (PCIe, C-Media® CMI-8788 via PCIe-PCI bridge)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Unfortunately, guys, all the suggested commands in the world won't help him at all if he can't get a command line.

First thing we need to do is get him to a command line.
    +1

... this is why my comment was irrelevant as well as everyone else's so far, except yours QIII

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcschmerker View Post
    As I previously stated, as of 8 January 2012, Advance Micro Devices® has yet to catch up with the LinUX Kernel Project on drivers for Kernels 3.0-up. The Catalyst™ Control Center (package: fglrx-amdcccle), which is capable of managing multiple Radeon® HD™ series GPU's, works only up to Kernel 2.6.38, meaning that it will not function in Oneiric.
    His card is a hybrid graphics card, meaning it's not the laptop's primary graphics card. The Windows driver switches it on when it's needed.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HybridGraphics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12