Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Patch to add "up" and "home" buttons to Nautilus toolbar

Beans

Re: Patch to add "up" and "home" buttons to Nautilus toolbar

I know for the computer icon.... But i don't found it in the available GTK toolbar object...

Maybe there is a GTK expert here?
    In the function g_object_new () , the GTK_STOCK_HARDDISK value gives the hard drive icon... But what is the keyword for the computer icon?

I have searched without success...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

In my /user/share/pixmaps there are 2;
    gnome-computer
    gnome-laptop
    and in /user/share/pixmaps/other several more. If you want I can email them to you
    My favorite is in /user/share/icons/gnome/48x48/devices/computer.png
    see screenshot for that one
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Thank you but i know where are these icons... It is not the issue...

GTK use some predefine object for the toolbar...
    All these objects are defined here:
    http://developer.gnome.org/gtk/2.24/...ock-Items.html

But there is no object with a computer in this list...

Beans
    Distro

OK sorry I didn't know that. They really keep removing stuff and making everything worse.

Beans

We can probably to add the computer icon but i don't know how to do that....

When I replace GTK_STOCK_HARDDISK by "computer" there is no icon

However, I am able to add the computer icon in the side bar with this keyword but no in the toolbar...

Maybe somebody has an idea?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kirby33 View Post
    Hello fenario!
    If you have properly install the nautilus patch, now you can toggle between the button bar path and the text bar path using only the F12 button (instead of Ctrl+L)

With the patch, F12 works in toggle mode... Each time you press the F12 button, the path bar toggle between the button and text mode...

If you want to add some buttons in the toolbar, from the nautilus window go to Edit>Preferences... And go to the Toolbar tab. In this new tab you can to select the icon that you want to use.

Thanks mate

i only just got it working and i'm extremely happy about it.
    the deb file did not install properly, all it did is deposit the patched nautilus and it's xml file
    it ought to have replaced the originals but it did not !

does anyone know what went wrong here?

I found out by nosing through the deb file and then check that it was in the path like inside the deb file; yes it was.
    so i did this:

made a folder /usr/orig
    moved the original nautilus from /urs/bin to /usr/orig
    moved patched nautilus into /usr/bin/
    moved /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.nautilus.gschema.xml to /usr/orig
    moved patched xml to /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/

and presto...it worked
    quite amazing to have that menu entry as well

thanks guys for your effort; well done
    and well appreciated

fenario

Beans
    Distro

This may interest everyone. Apparently the new gnome release will have even less for nautilus. What is the point of continually removing functionality in order to have more empty space?!
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/l...o-refined-look

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    This may interest everyone. Apparently the new gnome release will have even less for nautilus. What is the point of continually removing functionality in order to have more empty space?!
    Well said cmcanulty

It looks like there's a need for a granny version and one for us enthusiasts.

For now PINNING is the go. Nautilus is now pinned (locked version in synaptic) and kmix pinned to v.4.4.5 because you loose the true mixer window, and the list may go on; I might even revert firefox to v.3.24, it's already down to v.10.

Some applets in gnome panel I pinched from Lucid and they work: netspeed, knetload, kkbswitch (with flags); that is good news, and! my favourite (because it has 3 accessible speeds) downloader from lucid d4x works again in 12.04.

But the notification nor system tray have a battery applet and the complete indicator takes too much space; it never warns me anyway if I forget the mains plug. So I use gkrellm tweaked to warn me with a serious Brittish voice when activated.

And just for the sake of keeping our beloved gnome panel and nautilus
    I keep Lucid going and I'll pack it with software before it expires and keep the whole 32 GB repository of Lucid with me at home.

For folks with older computers: I found out that xorg functions soooo much better with the 2.6.32-*-generic kernels, it works under 12.04 and gets glxgears from 50 to 500 fps.
    All the 3.*** kernels are now beyond my 2004 laptop.

12.04 needs a lot of attention and changes
    so wishing you all successful tweaking
    greets
    fenario http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif
    Last edited by fenario; July 21st, 2012 at 12:05 AM.

Beans

Hello fenario

I am interesting by your feedback... How do you intall the nautiluspatch? Do you use the Ubuntu Software Center?

If theory the patch (deb file) copy the new files "nautilus" and "org.gnome.nautilus.gshema.xml" in /usr/local/nautiluspatch_3.4.2-0ubuntu3-2/

After the postinst scipt creates a backup of the original files "nautilus" and "org.gnome.nautilus.gshema.xml" and replaces these files...

Finally /usr/bin/glib-compile-schemas is executed... This command updates the gnome registry (dconf variables)

From your description, i understand the postinst debian script is never executed...

If something does not work, i am interesting to solve the issue... But on my computer everything is ok

Maybe there is an error message somewhere?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    This is why I've moved on to Linux Mint and the Mate desktop. I can't believe what's happened to Gnome and Ubuntu lately. I've been on Ubuntu since the days of Warty Warthog, over 7 years!

You guys will have to depend on Kirby for any updates.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast