Thread: Home Server Ideas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Home Server Ideas

I recently freed up an old desktop in my home and decided to turn it into an Ubuntu home server. So far i have Samba, uShare (Movies on Xbox), and Deluge running on it. All desktops run windows 7 and i dual boot with Ubuntu 11.10 desktop. I was wondering what else i could use this old dell for. I was looking at firefly for iTunes and debating whether or not to change ushare for something else, since its rather basic. Let me know what you think about my current setup and things to add.

Hardware-
    Pentium Dual core (need to double check)
    1.25 gb ram
    75 gb hdd

PS: i get a weird graphical error on screen after the grub menu when it starts to boot. Installed fine, Grub menu's fine, just Ubuntu itself the text is unreadable blocks. Not really a problem since i use putty for everything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Home Server Ideas

For a high speed home server would use bigger hard drive but your setup sounds fine for Ubuntu, but for server it self, I have no idea as I am running all my servers through Mac, works for me...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What graphics card is installed? Sometimes it helps to put nomodeset in the grub kernel boot parameters.

With respect to what you can do with your server, you could make backups of your Windows machines to the server. But that would probably require more hard disk space. I've put all my music on the server and let the clients access it through Samba. I've even configured iTunes to not have a local library but instead access the music on the server.

Beans

Could you tell me more about using uShare for movies on your Xbox? I have always wanted to play downloaded movies to mine.

Beans
    Distro

ushare uses upnp so that your xbox recognizes it so that you can stream movies (or any other media) straight to your device. its really easy to setup just install it and configure the file, restart and your done.
    let me know if you need any help setting it up.

Beans
    Distro

might look into editing the grub if i have time. Backups is over kill because im not really going to put any money into this old system. Im just happy it still runs so well. Just wondering if anyone knows of any good home server apps i should try. also he only problem with you share is that it doesn't let me filter threw my music very well. (artist, album, etc.)

in terms of streaming music i also found subsonic which i think is more than my server can handle. would be kind of nice though since i really don't care for itunes.
    Last edited by bubylou; January 5th, 2012 at 06:37 PM.