Thread: Turn off Server GPU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Turn off Server GPU

Hello, I have a server related question. The OS in question is not Ubuntu server, but MineOS Crux, which is CRUX linux based, but basic bash/linux command would be the same right?

Ok, I have an old laptop in which the GPU broke. It still trus on, but does not export video anymore. So I turned it into a minecraft server.

Now, I need to turn off the GPU because its creating ALOT of heat and wasting power.

Its a NVidia 7900GS GPU, and I can access this server using PUTTY.

How do I go about, via a PUTTY terminal, disable the videocard for this laptop?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Turn off Server GPU

To do this properly, you'd want to turn off the GPU in the BIOS (if your motherboard's BIOS supports it), which is fairly tricky when you don't have a monitor to view it with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would say that it is not possible. I haven't seen a laptop bios where you could turn of the GPU. Even if your laptop provides that option, you would need to be able to access the BIOS. There is no way to turn the GPU of through the operating system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Could I put the GPU in a really DEEP sleep state from the OS? That could work too.

EDIT: Before anyone asks, I have tried removing the gpu. The laptop bios won't finish its sequence and allow booting of the OS IF the gpu is missing.
    Last edited by dh04000; January 4th, 2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: oops

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

double post
    Last edited by dh04000; January 4th, 2012 at 04:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    Could I put the GPU in a really DEEP sleep state from the OS? That could work too.
    The open source drivers don't have power management fully implemented. The proprietary nVidia drivers would be better at power management but I guess your card is not supported (haven't checked that). However, its questionable whether the hassle is worth the benefit since no graphics driver I know of would allow you to put the GPU in a deep sleep state. The only thing they are doing is to reduce the internal frequency.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    The open source drivers don't have power management fully implemented. The proprietary nVidia drivers would be better at power management but I guess your card is not supported (haven't checked that). However, its questionable whether the hassle is worth the benefit since no graphics driver I know of would allow you to put the GPU in a deep sleep state. The only thing they are doing is to reduce the internal frequency.
    Decreasing its frequency would be nice.

Its an Nvidia 7900GS, which is supported by NVidia 192.xx driver family. I have no idea how to set up this driver using command line from putty, or how to use it though.