Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to make ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 EXACTLY like 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs up Re: How to make ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 EXACTLY like 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    And did you see the Gnome Classic Mega Thread? You might want to add your blog link to the thread if you haven't already.
    snip

That said, i think you can post links to this thread, but I have other things to do with my life now. If you wanna spread around this fix who am i to stop you?
    Last edited by Elfy; January 3rd, 2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: snip

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to make ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 EXACTLY like 10.04

Trying desperately to love (or at least 'like') the Unity interface. But still have not found a way to get running app icons to appear on the panel.

Adding this thread to my watchlist. If no improvement in 12.04, will give this method a try. Sometimes progress is regressive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There was a slight stuffup. Wordpress rearanged on its own code segments that were in list, so the effect was total mess. Now it is fixed, if there are some other potential prolems let me know whats going on.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by u2nTu View Post
    Trying desperately to love (or at least 'like') the Unity interface. But still have not found a way to get running app icons to appear on the panel.

Adding this thread to my watchlist. If no improvement in 12.04, will give this method a try. Sometimes progress is regressive.
    I agree about quick switching between open apps/windows. I use and prefer gnome-shell to Unity though both work. I have tint2 (found in the repositories) in my startups. It adds a bottom bar to Unity & Gnome Shell and lists open windows. Click to switch. Another possibility in Shell is an extension to do the same thing and also display a workspace switcher a la Gnome 2.

Beans
    Distro

Had found tint2 before, but I have a 23" monitor with loooong stretch across the top panel that's unused. Blank. Nothing there.

Seems like a big waste.

Some report getting active app icons to appear there, but no combination of settings I've found works for me. Really want this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Had found tint2 before, but I have a 23" monitor with loooong stretch across the top panel that's unused. Blank. Nothing there.

Seems like a big waste.

Some report getting active app icons to appear there, but no combination of settings I've found works for me. Really want this.
    i use one floating gnomepanel there, that is set to autohide, with autohide time very long, its called wing panel conversion, its somewhere on teh net, cant point it more acurately now, but i use it like so in my 11.04 that i got back to. in my 11.10 conversion i also use it like that, but i have to launch that panel preferences to keep it from autohiding at start...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i used exactly this solution on my desktop:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/12/c...t-gnome-panel/

it covers up the top bar with the gnome panel, which is nice

Beans

Now if you could find a way to now make it look like 10.04 with the Mac Leopard Theme installed that would be even better.

Beans
    Distro

@daldude, since your post revived this old thread, guess it's a good time to update that I've found a solution: abandon Unity.

Been running for quite some time now with Gnome - No Effects. Very happy. If Canonical persists with Unity, this solution will be permanent for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12