Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make Notepad++ stop crashing whenever I delete or rename a file that is opened

Beans

How to make Notepad++ stop crashing whenever I delete or rename a file that is opened

Okay, I'm running ubuntu 10.04 LTS and wine 1.3.35. Notepad++ works wonderfully in WINE (I even use it as my primary text editor!), but if I have a file opened in Notepad++ and rename or delete the file outside of notepad++, notepad++ crashes and takes the wine process down with it.

I think what's going on here has something to do with a file exist flag, notepad++ checks constantly to see if a file was altered outside of its program, if it is, it throws up an error message. I'm not really sure if the problem is with the signal that ubuntu is sending the the kernel (changing the file name) or if it has to deal with wine dealing with that signal. Either way, I need help.

What can I do to solve this problem? And yes, it is a big deal, I constantly rename my files all the time (as I am an amateur programmer, and I don't use a CVS).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: How to make Notepad++ stop crashing whenever I delete or rename a file that is op

No I don't have this problem. I tried it and it's not crashing. Maybe is the Ubuntu 11.10 I'm using. You should consider upgrading.

Beans

Re: How to make Notepad++ stop crashing whenever I delete or rename a file that is op

Quote Originally Posted by BC59 View Post
    No I don't have this problem. I tried it and it's not crashing. Maybe is the Ubuntu 11.10 I'm using. You should consider upgrading.
    If you don't mind me asking, what version of wine are you using? Are you using gnome as a desktop manager, kde, xcfe, or something else? Please give me as many details as you can.

As for upgrading, I did, and I hated it. I could not get used to the unity interface, and the classic gnome desktop just wasn't for me. I tried using KDE but I had too many issues with my nivida diver (causing segmentation faults). I'm sticking with 10.04 until the new LTS comes out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Can't you do a "save as" in Notepad when you want to rename the file? Maybe you could copy and paste the file outside of Notepad, then paste as a copy then rename the copied file?
    I do not use Notepad but it seems a logical way to do it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

You can't delete or rename open files in windows so why would you be able to in wine? you have to close out of the files first!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by syerges View Post
    You can't delete or rename open files in windows so why would you be able to in wine? you have to close out of the files first!
    Your argument is unsound. In windows if I rename or delete a file that is in use (opened in notepad++) an error message pops up asking wither or not I would like to continue having the file displayed in notepad++. It DOES work correctly in windows, this is what I am asking for.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by venom104 View Post
    Okay, I'm running ubuntu 10.04 LTS and wine 1.3.35. Notepad++ works wonderfully in WINE (I even use it as my primary text editor!), but if I have a file opened in Notepad++ and rename or delete the file outside of notepad++, notepad++ crashes and takes the wine process down with it.

I think what's going on here has something to do with a file exist flag, notepad++ checks constantly to see if a file was altered outside of its program, if it is, it throws up an error message. I'm not really sure if the problem is with the signal that ubuntu is sending the the kernel (changing the file name) or if it has to deal with wine dealing with that signal. Either way, I need help.

What can I do to solve this problem? And yes, it is a big deal, I constantly rename my files all the time (as I am an amateur programmer, and I don't use a CVS).
    I wont mark this problem as solved (because it's not), but there is a workaround listed here http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=13036 (under the comments section).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

an error message does not mean it's working... error means doesn't work. Windows gave you a cop out that isn't transferring through wine. If you are trying to change the file in Ubuntu, Ubuntu doesn't give you that option. What you may be able to do is change the file through another windows file management program but what you most likely will have to do is install Windows within Ubuntu if you wish to take advantage of Windows errors.

Quote Originally Posted by venom104 View Post
    Your argument is unsound. In windows if I rename or delete a file that is in use (opened in notepad++) an error message pops up asking wither or not I would like to continue having the file displayed in notepad++. It DOES work correctly in windows, this is what I am asking for.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

An easier possible solution if this is what you are doing: Modding code, testing to see if it works, then either returning to the old code if it didn't or moving forward if it did... Open multiple files in notepad++ and utilize the ctrl + A, C, V to move your code among the files so your test code can be moved to the appropriate file, saved, tested and then continue... If that is not what you are trying to accomplish, perhaps letting us know why you need to change filenames or what you are trying to accomplish may help as I doubt Ubuntu is going to create an error option such as this and then have wine transfer it through.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just out of curiosity, why use Notepad when there are several other text editors out there made specifically for Linux?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast