Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Online Backup Services

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Online Backup Services

I don't get this whole "data in your hands" business, at least for my situation. My data isn't top secret. Its primary value to me is that it exists. I'd far prefer that a company I'm paying to keep backups of my things have my personal family photos than to lose those photos altogether, should a fire burn down our apartment (including our laptops and all our external hard drives), than to say "Well, at least the data was in my own hands."

I do keep local backups, too, but off-site backups are a must for me.

Beans

I just use a 2 TB USB drive to hold my backups.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    I just use a 2 TB USB drive to hold my backups.
    That's fine, but what if your house burns down? I's important to have a second backup set stored away from home.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGil View Post
    How big is your backup set? Mine is over 200GB and I don't think that's all that unusual. The last thing I want to do is faff around with SD cards.
    phil, sd cards were an exaggerated example of what i really meant.

you can put that 200+ gigs of data on a hard drive in minutes, no one never heard of e-sata, fill one up and stick it in the closet, or in a fire proof safe.

online backup useless with Tb drives laying around, imagine when a storm comes through and tares down those isp cables, what would you do then, hook up an external drive

Beans

I guess we need a backup for the backup for the backup.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by inobe View Post
    you can put that 200+ gigs of data on a hard drive in minutes, no one never heard of e-sata, fill one up and stick it in the closet, or in a fire proof safe.

online backup useless with Tb drives laying around, imagine when a storm comes through and tares down those isp cables, what would you do then, hook up an external drive
    If you had read my original post in this thread, that's exactly how I do my backups: nightly to a usb HDD at my desk, and weekly to a USB drive I keep at my office.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree about the value of online backup services, though. Obviously, it could take some time to get the backups back (particularly if there is infrastructure damage), but that's better than not having the backups at all. And, IMHO, that's what is likely to happen to most users if they have to do manual off-site backups.

Beans

Yes, as silly as it sounds, you should always keep a backup of your backup stored in another location.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGil View Post
    Yes, as silly as it sounds, you should always keep a backup of your backup stored in another location.
    Glad I have a life away from my computer then.

Beans

Glad I have a life away from my computer then.
    And this is exactly why online backup services are useful . Most users don't want to be bothered with off-site backups, so maybe making them as painless as possible will get more folks using them.

sammiev, maybe you don't have anything on your computer that can't be easily replaced, but I'd be pretty bummed about losing 10 years of family photos and all my financial records.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

it would be a backup of a backup of a backed up backup

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast