Thread: shutdown errors

Beans

shutdown errors

hello all, i am first time trying ubuntu and am picking up some linux and liking it greatly. well, i had shutdown my computer using terminal once and what i observed was, the next time i turn my system on it took a lot of time to open. like half hour or something. so finally when this continued. i was forced to reinstall it. now again i shut the system down using that search button on the top right in ubuntu 11.10. i am experiencing same issue.
    what could be wrong ??
    also, when i install softwares from terminal using "sudo apt-get install" command the look of them were different from when i had installed them from "ubuntu software center" what is this difference between cli and gui i am seeing.
    and.. i have installed ubuntu from 'Wubi' as paralell to my windows Xp on my desktop. and when i mentioned terminal, i use gnome-terminal.

any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Beans

Re: shutdown errors

hrm hrm, that's rather interesting. Did you ever actually get Ubuntu running again after you shut it down, or did you just power the computer off and reinstall?

If you actually get it back up and running, then something is probably going wrong with the shutdown. If you never get it back up, my guess is that the install is bad.

Beans

no i once i shutdown with terminal or from the dashboard button.. the next start will take time and then there wont be any problems for the later startups.
    but still cant explain the difference appearance of softwares for installations made by terminal and installations made via software center.

Beans

The names with apt-get install are the actual names of the package. The names in Software Center are short descriptions of the package. It's a user-friendliness thing I assume.
    System specs: CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 830 @ 3.2GHz | GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7850 | MB - MSI 760GM-P23 | RAM - 4GB DDR3 1366 MHz | OS - Arch, Windows 7

Beans

yeah they are.. so, is it probable that i installed two different versions of the package, when i installing it from commands and software center ?! so that made them look different ?? i did not specify the version anywhere.. specifically.. what i installed was 'scilab'

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blu_photon View Post
    yeah they are.. so, is it probable that i installed two different versions of the package, when i installing it from commands and software center ?! so that made them look different ?? i did not specify the version anywhere.. specifically.. what i installed was 'scilab'
    I don't think so. The title of the package "scilab" in software-center is the same as the actual package name. Is there a problem you needed solving or were you just curious? I'm sorry but I cannot help you with the shutdown errors. I simply provided what knowledge I could. Did you get that problem solved or do you still need assistance?
    System specs: CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 830 @ 3.2GHz | GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7850 | MB - MSI 760GM-P23 | RAM - 4GB DDR3 1366 MHz | OS - Arch, Windows 7

Beans

heyy, thanks a lot. the questions about the packages are clear now. still wonder why that happens to my system. i have given full 30Gb of space for ubuntu. should i try installing via cd once. could this be the fault of wubi ??

Beans

WUBI is not perfect. I wouldn't expect a very good user experience using it. When you're ready, just go ahead and install it to that partition. You may find it's much more convenient having seperate partitions instead of a disk image inside a partition. I apologize for the delay. I have been busy with other threads.

Beans

Let us know if you need any help installing Ubuntu.
    Last edited by rectec794613; January 9th, 2012 at 04:47 AM.

Beans

thanks.. will try to get a full install.