Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How to boot Ubuntu from EFI?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to boot Ubuntu from EFI?

Quote Originally Posted by satanselbow View Post
    Apologies that should read "Unformatted" - my bad... I've been working with USB sticks all morning and got FAT32 on the brain

That would then allow you to create the required 8MB partition.

Windows uses it's "extra" partition for a different reason ie bootstrapping the OS. The small partition is a "replacement" for the harddisk's MBR which is not present on a GPT partitioned platter and gives grub an alternate place to live

You seem to be worried about Windows requirements but are not planning on installing Windows

From the screenshots you posted you have not left any room to install Windows WHICH SHOULD BE DONE 1ST and will be installing your Ubuntu into one huge partition which is not really recommended - although a matter of personal preference if you have a solid off disk data backup solution

A partition of 20-30GB would be ample for Ubuntu root ( / ) with the rest of the disk for /home + swap as you have it currently
    Using a separate root+home+swap scheme will make system recovery and data backup a lot easier later.

Originally, I wanted to install Ubuntu along side with Win 7. However, as this did not turn out to go as smooth as I had wished, I am now trying to just get Ubuntu up and running. Putting Windows 7 on will be an optional next step.

I am aware that the current disk layout does not make room for Windows. However, if need be I can always resize the ext4 filesystem for root to make room for Windows.

I have noted that the partition should not be FAT32. So, do I need to start over?

I tried using the layout I described earlier with screenshots for a new installation. It could not boot. Now I am trying to select "Use as:_EFI Boot" in the installer.

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Re: How to boot Ubuntu from EFI?

That did not work either.

I do not get it. Why do I have to jump through all these hoops just to make Ubuntu boot? This seems like something that should be solved in the installer.

Right now, I have been told a lot of things to do to solve this. I am missing a clear overview of what works.

So far, I have not had any luck booting Ubuntu.

If someone can provide a clear concise description of steps needed to make this work, I will appreciate it.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I seriously would try installing from a LiveCD. That always fixed my booting problems.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Mars11 View Post
    I seriously would try installing from a LiveCD. That always fixed my booting problems.
    Well, I had to go buy a blank CDROM. Then it actually worked!
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tdn View Post
    Well, I had to go buy a blank CDROM. Then it actually worked!
    Thanks.
    Then please MARK the thread (read below).
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Haha, no problem. I've always had problems installing from a flash drive since Natty. Now mark the thread as solved.

Beans

Although I agree that this issue can be considered solved per se,I am experiencing similar problems and I think this should be reported as a bug.
    That way at least two examples can be submitted(The OP's and mine) for further review and fixing.

Is this already reported? How should I report this?(I have a launchpad ID and have experience reporting papercuts before, but nothing like this)
    Should I start another thread for this?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Paqman, while UEFI itself is not yet implemented, some Acer machines, and perhaps others (mine was one of them) will not allow any CD that has the Linux boot line load and run. My guess is that thet they have used bhe BIOS hook to do this. I had to destroy (format) the hard disk before I could boot ANY linux deisk, while any other CD/DVD would boot just fine. So far as I know, only ny ACER 5250 had this implementedm, but there could be others.
    // Don
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Toshiba P755-S5390 / Core I7 / 8 gigs

Beans

For me, the issue has not been solved by CDROM installation.

For now, I've given up hope, and I am waiting for precise. My primary goal right now is to inform the relevant authorities and experts so whoever can fix this is "in the know",

Should I open a new thread?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Again, I have to emphasize that my CD install would NOT work until the systems hard disk had been formatted, to remove whatever had been placed there by the Windoze softward!
    // Don
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Toshiba P755-S5390 / Core I7 / 8 gigs

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast