Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Audio With Asus P5NE-SLI (ALC883)

Beans

Re: No Audio With Asus P5NE-SLI (ALC883)

Quote Originally Posted by robn30 View Post
    Ok here is the link to the information about the sound devices. Sure does give a lot of info. Hopefully it will help.
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=f4...44b75f4dc2422c

I tested this link and it works. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

I had a similar loss of sound on one of my PCs and here's what fixed it...
    http://www.upubuntu.com/2011/11/how-...-login-on.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetron1 View Post
    I had a similar loss of sound on one of my PCs and here's what fixed it...
    http://www.upubuntu.com/2011/11/how-...-login-on.html
    Not sure this will work for me as I believe I have no sound at all. When I go to system setting-->then sound and perform speaker test, I get nothing at all. It is not an issue of not hearing the login sound. I believe the sound is broke completely. Not sure I want to try this fix yet as I dont want to mess anything up. BTW when I mean broke I dont mean the MB, I mean the drivers that allow sound to occur. As stated previously sound works until I install the latest updates for Oneiric 11.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Don't see anything in your alsa-info. Try step one on this page:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...otingProcedure

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lidex View Post
    Don't see anything in your alsa-info. Try step one on this page:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...otingProcedure
    Thanks for checking it out. This issue is really crazy. Step 1 did not seem to fix the problem. At this point it is looking more and more like Windows 7 will be the way to go. It's a real shame because I hate to do that but it seems I have exhausted all other means. It shouldn't be this difficult to make something as simple as sound work. Never have I had these issues with Windows. Of course other issues come with Windows but Linux is clearly only for Super Users when problems arise. The normal user has no way to fix these things. I don't believe I had these issues with previous releases of ubuntu. Oneiric seems to be the most problematic yet. Really a shame as I love Ubuntu and really want to use it and have my family use it as well.

Beans

I have not tried headphones yet. Is that worth a try. This issue is just weird. I have never experienced anything like this ever. I can't imagine Ubuntu not working with ALC883. Anybody have any other thoughts on what I can try. Thanks.

Beans

Well I found out what was causing the issue. It was the NVidia Display Driver that you can install from the additional drivers software. I have reinstalled and done all updates and all is still good. I have not done the NVidia Driver installation because it breaks my sound for some reason. Not sure why this happens or if will still happen after doing all the updates, but I think I will just go with the default display drivers. Has anyone else had this happen to them and why is it happening? Either way I am happy that this installation is now working. Not going to say this is solved yet as I am unsure if the issue still exists. Maybe I will give it a shot as I have backed up my current installation and if it breaks sound again I can just reinstall from my backup.

Beans

It still breaks as soon as I apply the NVidia Driver and then restart. If I then remove the driver the sound comes back. So it is 100% the Nvidia Driver causing the sound to break. Pretty weird if you ask me. Would be nice to get this working and am hoping someone more experienced than me can help me out. I also tried all 4 versions of the Nvidia Driver available from the Additional Driver Application. Thanks for anyone who can provide me some guidance in regards to this problem.

Beans

Ok so I have tried this Nvidia Driver install yet again and you guessed it, the same result, broken sound. I do have an update to report and that is the front panel headphone does provide perfect sound. Left and right ear are perfect when I plug in headphones. Its just the speakers built into my Asus Monitor that will not work. Of course they work perfect before the application of the Nvidia Driver. After reboot is when the sound breaks. This is such a mind boggling issue and really frustrating. Out of all the machines I have running Linux, this is the only one with this issue. I really wish I could get it squared away. Next I am going to remove the Nvidia Driver and see if I have sound both at the speakers and with headphones. Hopefully someone can come up with something that may help given this new data. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robn30 View Post
    Ok so I have tried this Nvidia Driver install yet again and you guessed it, the same result, broken sound. I do have an update to report and that is the front panel headphone does provide perfect sound. Left and right ear are perfect when I plug in headphones. Its just the speakers built into my Asus Monitor that will not work. Of course they work perfect before the application of the Nvidia Driver. After reboot is when the sound breaks. This is such a mind boggling issue and really frustrating. Out of all the machines I have running Linux, this is the only one with this issue. I really wish I could get it squared away. Next I am going to remove the Nvidia Driver and see if I have sound both at the speakers and with headphones. Hopefully someone can come up with something that may help given this new data. Thanks.
    After removing the driver I now have sound at both the speakers and the headphones. I should note that if I plug in the headphones I still have sound at the speakers as well. I just also hear it through the headphones as well. I am sure I can mute the speakers somehow with alsamixer or something, but the short of it is the sound is working with the Nvidia driver removed. With the driver activated I only get headphone sound. Ok thats all I have, hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks again.
    Last edited by robn30; February 26th, 2012 at 02:42 AM.

Beans

Still have not been able to fix this issue. Should I try removing the Alsa and Pulse audio drivers and installing the Realtek Drivers from their site? This is so frustrating to me and I really want to get it working. If so is there a tutorial for installing the Realtek Drivers? Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast