Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Logitech web cam on Ubuntu 10.04

Beans

Re: Logitech web cam on Ubuntu 10.04

Is there any way of getting this problem promoted to a higher level? Am totally frustrated by this problem. Be grateful for any advice.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Multimedia & Video.

Hopefully some others can see your problem here and give advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I also have a D610 with a Logitech web cam, and with Lubuntu 11.10 in a fresh install Guvcview works out of the box (actually I worked with the developer to fix some bugs in the previous version, so I can almost promise you a good result).

The version number must be 1.5.3 or above.
    Last edited by mörgæs; March 24th, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    I also have a D610 with a Logitech web cam, and with Lubuntu 11.10 in a fresh install Guvcview works out of the box (actually I worked with the developer to fix some bugs in the previous version, so I can almost promise you a good result).

The version number must be 1.5.3 or above.
    THanks, and yes, I have tried Ubuntu 11.10 on this D610 and found the camera did work but the computer because ridiculously slow (and some other things didn't work - I can't remember) so I went back to Ubuntu 10.10. Maybe I should try the Lubuntu version. I was just hoping that if they can fix it for Ubuntu 11.10 couldn't they also fix it in 10.04??

thanks for the tip.

You wouldn't have any advice on my wireless issue as well would you? Would Lubuntu fix that? See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1945971

Cheers,

Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

10.04 being maintained means that security bugs are fixed, not that new functionality is added. It is very unlikely that Guvcview will be backported.

Xubuntu and Lubuntu 11.10 are your best options. When you have one of these running with wired internet access we can take a look at the wirefree.
    Last edited by mörgæs; March 25th, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

10.04 being maintained means that security bugs are fixed, not that new functionality is added. It is very unlikely that Guvcview will be backported.

Xubuntu and Lubuntu 11.10 are your best options. When you have one of these running with wired internet access we can take a look at the wirefree.
    well, I managed to install Lubuntu 11.10 and initially couldn't get the webcam working, but after installing a stash of gstreamer applications (no idea what they do) from the Lubuntu Software Centre, the web cam is now working! YIPPEEEE! Do you think I could also get the webcam's inbuild microphone working as well? Any advice on this? Will also work on trying to get the wireless features working - any advice on this appreciated as well, but I should probably create a sepate problem for this.

Cheers,

Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It surprises me that you had to install anything beyond the regular updates. Are you on version 1.5.3 of Guvcview, and was it a clean install of 11.10?

Anyway, for sound problems I recommend
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1885240

and for networking
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336
    (including the sticky notes).

Beans

It surprises me that you had to install anything beyond the regular updates. Are you on version 1.5.3 of Guvcview, and was it a clean install of 11.10?

Anyway, for sound problems I recommend
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1885240

and for networking
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336
    (including the sticky notes).
    looking up Guvcview on the Lubuntu Software Center shows the installed version as being only 1.4.5-1 - and it seems rather unstable - crashed whenever I try and record video with it.

Re clean install, I md5sum'ed the file and the CD and checked the CD for errors as well as checked the memory of the PC for half a day - all fine. But there was one issue with the install - the photo to go with log-on didn't work. And there seem to be other things wrong e.g. the re-boot facility doesn't seem to work very well. Will look at those sound and networking issues, but any advice on whether I should re-do the install would be appreciated.

cheers,

Paul

Beans

also Cheese seems to crash easily as well...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Sorry, I forgot that I installed 1.5.3 from the PPA. Instructions are here:

http://guvcview.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

You could also install Lubuntu 12.04 beta, if you want guvcview and all the other new packages in one go. Though it is a beta it is fairly stable. If you have a few GB spare, you could install next to 11.10 for comparison.

Always remember to have wired internet access while installing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast