Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Logitech web cam on Ubuntu 10.04

Beans

Re: Logitech web cam on Ubuntu 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    Sorry, I forgot that I installed 1.5.3 from the PPA. Instructions are here:

http://guvcview.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

You could also install Lubuntu 12.04 beta, if you want guvcview and all the other new packages in one go. Though it is a beta it is fairly stable. If you have a few GB spare, you could install next to 11.10 for comparison.

Always remember to have wired internet access while installing.
    well, based on this and the previous advice that you were surprised that I needed anything other than regular updates, and also because guvcview & cheese were crashing and sometimes when I re-booted the mouse wouldn't move or the task bar down the bottom wouldn't appear, I decided to do a complete re-install. Have now completely removed the packaged version of guvcview (1.4.something) and installed guvcview as per instructions above (ie http://guvcview.sourceforge.net/downloads.html). Initially it seemed to work, though did crash when I tried to open a file from it. As I don't really need to use it, I thought I'd install skype and have now got that installed, but camera is not working. Currently, without any gstreamer files installed, have no video on skype, cheese can't find the camera and guvcview no longer can find the camera or the 'correct driver'. GRR. So, I think my only option is to install some gstreamer files, not that I have any idea what they do... Have not installed Lubuntu Software Centre this time - am just going to rely on Synapic - do you think that'll be OK??

cheers,

Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Have you tried 12.04 in a live boot?

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/daily-live/current/
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

No, not yet. I can do so (have now downloaded the file), but it just seems I'm going from version to version without getting any problems fixed. Currently guvcview works when I initially start it up, then it crashes as some point and refuses to work again until I re-start the computer. No video with skype, though I'm hoping if I install Gstreamer files that it'll come good. Would be happy to do some testing or give further data if so directed.

Cheers,

Paul

Beans

Have downloaded the file, MD5SUM checked out ok, burned disk, again MD5Sum checked OK, used the check disc facility when using the disc from boot, but then when trying to run the live CD it just freezes, so, hmm, don't think this is a goer for me. Any data you'd like?

Cheers,

Paul

Beans
    Distro

You need to do some more testing.

Does the CD boot other computers?
    Can you boot the D 610 with a USB stick created with Unetbootin?
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

You need to do some more testing.

Does the CD boot other computers?
    Can you boot the D 610 with a USB stick created with Unetbootin?
    Have managed to:
    * create Linux Mint 12 USB boot stick and install on ACER desktop
    * run Linux Mint 12 USB boot stick on this Dell Lattitude D610 without installing, though it was very slow and kept on freezing
    * create Lubuntu 12.04 USB boot stick from which I then installed it on a ACER desktop and it runs OK.

I can not, however, get Lubutu 12.04 installed on this Dell Lattitude D610 at all, via CD ROM (with correct MD5SUM) or via USB boot stick. Each time the laptop just freezes, either when trying to run 12.04 live (without installing) or when trying to go straight to the installation. The 12.04 CD doesn't even get to the boot menu before freezing, whereas the USB boot stick gets past the boot menu and allows me to check the disk (its OK) but then freezes when trying to install or run as live.

Be grateful for any advice. Currently I've re-installed 10.04 and that seems to be working fine, though I've got to install all the software updates yet and I haven't really tested in on all the programs I want to run.

Has anyone else had issues with installing 12.04??

Beans
    Distro

Have you tried the alternate ISO for Lubuntu 12.04?

Beans

Have you tried the alternate ISO for Lubuntu 12.04?
    Well, I misread this and tried the alternate ISO for Ubuntu 12.04, which installed OK and I was getting hopefull for a while, but then it freezes when trying to boot after installation seemed successful. Am anticipating this will happen with altenate ISO for Lubuntu 12.04, but will give it a try! Yikes! frustrated.

Beans

Have now tried so many varieties of alternative iso's and etc I'm really sick of it! I can not get Lubuntu 12.04 installed on this D610, though I can get it working on my ACER desktop. So it seems I'm stuck with Lubuntu 11.10, for which I've just recently re-installed and web cam seems to be working fine after installation of Gstreamer files (didn't test without them - should have). So, it seems like when Lubuntu 11.10 runs out of support I'll have to get a new distribution of Linux as I can't get 12.04 to work in any form... though I suppose I haven't tried Xubuntu. Is this even more lightweight?

I've still got 10.04 working on it as a back up to the 11.10, but managed to erase my MS Windows files by stuffing up the grub file at one point... any feedback welcome.

Beans
    Distro

You should see any of the supported Lubuntus as valid candidates. There is no reason to switch to 12.04, if 11.10 is working fine.

11.10 is supported until april 2013, so you will have the option of trying both 12.10 and 13.04 when that time comes.

Testing 12.10 in development and reporting the bug is also an option.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=416

Xubuntu is medium-weight. Should be no problem for a D610.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast