Thread: Offline Software Installation in Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Offline Software Installation in Ubuntu

Offline Software Installation in Ubuntu

There's been a number of requests for help regarding installing programs in Ubuntu without an internet connection. It was one of my first questions when I started using Ubuntu, so I thought I'd make this tutorial to explain how.
    This tutorial assumes you have access to another Ubuntu machine that is online, and that Synaptic Package Manager is installed on both machines. If you only have access to an online computer running Windows, you can still do it- see my other tutorial for instructions. If you did a fresh installation of 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot or higher, you'll need to install Synaptic on the offline machine first. (For some reason it didn't come bundled with 11.10) This is a little involved but very doable. Here's a link to my tutorial on that procedure.

1. On offline machine: Open a terminal with Control+Alt+t and type

Code:
    synaptic
    This will open up the Synaptic Package manager. You can browse available software in the column on the far left, or if you know specifically what you're looking for, type it into the search box.
    When you find the software you want to install, right click it and select "Mark for Installation". If a dialog comes up "Mark Additional Required Changes" select Mark. This will ensure that all the packages required for the selected software get installed as well.

2. Once you've picked your software, go to File>Generate Package Download Script. Save the script to a USB flash drive or some other portable media. You can name the script whatever you want, but for clarity we'll assume you named it "download".
    The Package Download Script is just a little text file (with a .sh extension) that will tell your online computer which packages to download, so you can transfer them to the offline computer.

3. Take the flash drive to your online computer. Create a new folder called "packages" in the home folder to hold the downloaded packages, and copy the script to that folder.

4. Open up a terminal on the online computer using Control+Alt+t, and copy/paste the following code:

Code:
    cd package
    Now copy/paste

Code:
    chmod +x download.sh
    And finally

Code:
    ./download.sh
    This will download the packages to the folder containing the script. If you open the package in a file manager you'll see one or more files with the extension .deb. These are the software package files.

5. Copy the "packages" folder containing the .deb files to the flash drive and onto the /home folder of the offline computer.

6. Open up a terminal on the offline computer and type

Code:
    sudo dpkg -iR packages
    You'll be prompted for your administrator password, which will be the same as your user login password. Enter it and Ubuntu will install your software!
    Last edited by cortman; January 27th, 2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added link for Windows download tutorial

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Offline Software Installation in Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the link. Obviously I recommend the way shown above as being simplest and most universal, but it's good to have other options too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@cortman

I have just posted a link to your tutorial for someone who wanted to know how to install wine in Ubuntu 11.10 without an internet connection.

Well done. Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @cortman

I have just posted a link to your tutorial for someone who wanted to know how to install wine in Ubuntu 11.10 without an internet connection.

Well done. Regards.
    Thanks a lot, grahammechanical! I'm glad it was of help!