Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question A few questions...

Hello, I am buying a laptop and would prefer to run a linux os (Ubuntu has been most recommended), without having windows installed, as I don't want to give microsoft money. 1 - is this over-idealistic? Some people say that it would be better to partition and have both in order to use certain hardware and software, but I would really rather not do this.

The computer will mainly be used for graphic design, music production, video editing as well as other things. I know Gimp is better than Photoshop as I have used it a lot, but as far as muisc production goes I am in the dark (my partner's thing, not mine) so, 2 - what are your experiences of the music production software available? Same for video editing software.

I have heard that Wine is good for running lots of programs, which leads to 3 - what are the limitations of Wine in regards to music, video, games etc software?

I have also heard some complaints about not being able to get printers, scanners, etc to work. 4 - Is it a case of installing special drivers? 5 - I recieved a Core HDD 1.5TB external hard drive as a present and it only lists windows under 'operating system'. Will I be able to get it to work? And finally 6 - Any recommendations on where to buy a pre-loaded linux laptop? I am in the UK but am considering ordering from Ohava or System76.

I am aware that software is constantly updated and love the ever evolving community vibe of linux, which seems to outweigh the percieved complications and limitations.
    Sorry if this is a bit long winded, and thanks for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: A few questions...

Many questions...some answers:

Try Ubuntu Studio, I think fits better to your needs
    http://ubuntustudio.org/

Consider a dual boot, you cannot live without Windows, lots of programs don't work in Linux environment.

Wine is not a perfect solution. Only a few programs work under Wine and with many limitations.

Some Scanners don't work under LInux, especially Canon Epson etc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

1 - I'd say drop Windows and don't look back. It's a bit harder to get a machine without paying the Windows tax, but sometimes if you call the vendor you can get a different deal than what is offered on their web site. If nothing else you can document your refusal of the EULA and get a Windows refund. The details vary from region to region.

2 - My experience is very limited, I've mostly used Audacity. You could also take a look at Audacious

3 - A lot of applications work well with WINE, but some still don't. Check the app database to see if or how well an application is supported before buying.

4 - Try to check the net for success or failure to support various hardware before you buy. A lot of devices work out of the box.

5 - Yes. It's just a matter of reformatting it as EXT3 or EXT4 if you plan to only use it with Ubuntu.

6 - See #1. Vendors are under a lot of pressure from M$ to not sell anything except Windows. This problem goes back many, many years. So offers of Linux often last only a short time and you have to grab them while they are available.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Greetings!
    I'm not well versed in Ubuntu 11.04 but I will say that Windo$ will never be back in my laptop again. Tried dual boot for a short time and went to just Ubuntu with wine for some Win XP stuff. Had too many problems with Wine and gave up. Just about everything I ever needed for Windo$, and the cost there, I have found free for Linux.

Haven't done any music work but if you go thru System > Admin > Synaptic Package Manager you can look around there and see what is offered. Also many other choices outside of Synaptic for programs too.

Regarding printer I have an HP Officejet 6500A on my WiFi system and have never had a problem with it. Hooked it up, sought it out and began printing immediately. Don't use a landline phone so haven't done any Faxing.

Takes a little getting used to, the differences between the 2 OS's, but all of the free assists here far outweigh the effort compared to the cost for W$ programs and assistance there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, I run just ubuntu but I have windows installed in virtualbox in ubuntu for emergencies, but I have not booted it for over a year.

Here is a link to explain about virtualbox.
    https://www.virtualbox.org/
    Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Futant View Post
    Hello, I am buying a laptop and would prefer to run a linux os (Ubuntu has been most recommended), without having windows installed, as I don't want to give microsoft money. 1 - is this over-idealistic? Some people say that it would be better to partition and have both in order to use certain hardware and software, but I would really rather not do this.

The computer will mainly be used for graphic design, music production, video editing as well as other things. I know Gimp is better than Photoshop as I have used it a lot, but as far as muisc production goes I am in the dark (my partner's thing, not mine) so, 2 - what are your experiences of the music production software available? Same for video editing software.

I have heard that Wine is good for running lots of programs, which leads to 3 - what are the limitations of Wine in regards to music, video, games etc software?

I have also heard some complaints about not being able to get printers, scanners, etc to work. 4 - Is it a case of installing special drivers? 5 - I recieved a Core HDD 1.5TB external hard drive as a present and it only lists windows under 'operating system'. Will I be able to get it to work? And finally 6 - Any recommendations on where to buy a pre-loaded linux laptop? I am in the UK but am considering ordering from Ohava or System76.

I am aware that software is constantly updated and love the ever evolving community vibe of linux, which seems to outweigh the percieved complications and limitations.
    Sorry if this is a bit long winded, and thanks for any help.
    I would backup Windows before you dump it as you already paid for their software on your computer. Not sure why you think you are not given them any money.

aeronutt is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Futant View Post
    ...Same for video editing software.
    I have yet to find an opensource Linux video editor as good as Windows Live Movie Maker. To get what I want, I tend to need to use 2 or 3 linux video editors, and I'm only doing simple editing.

Beans

I'm don't have much experience in the realm of audio/video software aside from conversion/transcoding, but these seem to be fairly popular, and are all available in the Software Center:

Music: LMMS, Rosegarden, Audacity

Video: Avidemux, PiTiVi
    Any advice given is the direct result of my experience solving my problems on my system. I have no idea what I'm talking about. ~bouge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I haven't used windows since the mid 90's. I use Ubuntu, but have used Ubuntu Studio in the past. I currently run my photography business with just pure linux, so don't let anyone tell you it can't be done.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks all, good to know I'm not the only idealist around! I will be mulling this issue over for a while, but reckon I'm going to go without a partition. Can always add Windows later if I really need to... I really can't think of any windows programs I'll that much, the main thing I'm worried about is Morrowind To be honest limitations and restrictions are quite intersting to me and something I enjoy playing with! Oh and Sammiev, I will not be dumping anything and I have not paid microsoft anything, don't worry. I don't even own a computer! That's why I'm buying one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast