Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard drive: Read only problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Hard drive: Read only problem

I would like to keep my NTFS external hard drive for now. Maybe I'll format to FAT32 later, but I don't have time right now.
    If I mount it using fdrake's solution, will it become read-write every time I plug it in?

I read somewhere else I can use

Code:
    cd /media/your_external_drive 
    sudo chmod -R 777 *
    Will this allow me to permanently read/write on this drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

the default to mount an external drive in ubuntu is read/write chmod won't affect that. the -R flag will tell chmod to change the permissions for files/folders inside the directory you are working in, recursively, meaning everything inside. however new files will be rw-r--r-- but I don't think NTFS honors linux permissions. I could be wrong.

when you mount or auto mount a drive however it should default to r/w. the only way to permanently mount the drive however is to add it to the /etc/fstab file. then it will mount on startup. If you WANT to mount it only on a as needed basis, then just use the mount command.

BTW the code you typed... setting the octal permissions to 777 means YOU can read/write/execute, anyone in your group can as well... and so can the rest of the world. the only thing I see with 777 permissions are sim links. it is as insecure practice
    Last edited by Synoc; December 27th, 2011 at 06:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by motoso View Post
    Code:
    cd /media/your_external_drive 
    sudo chmod -R 777 *
    Will this allow me to permanently read/write on this drive?
    you access ntfs trougth the FUSE virtual filesystem. All the permissions bits assigned to the files/inodes are virtual (specific to the Fuse driver!). If you change the permissions and plug the drive to another sys using FUSE driver the permissions maybe respected, if the sys does not use fuse (like windows, {note that other drivers do exist}), well then the permissions won't be respected.
    In the end the permissions are assigned virtually and are strictly dependable from the driver that you use.... that's my general opinion.

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks fdrake, I installed the program, and rebooted. I didn't even have to mount manually, and it works. Now my drive is read/write.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12