Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux video card compatibility: AMD vs Nvidia

Beans

Question Linux video card compatibility: AMD vs Nvidia

I am currently looking to purchase a video card for a system I am building for myself. I have dealt with integrated Intel in the past. I am now wondering which one would be better for me: AMD or Nvidia? There are several items I'm trying to consider:

Efficiency - sure the cards do fine in Windows, but how efficient are the drivers for Linux? For casual word processing? Video processing/production?

Drivers
    - will there be support for the cards out of the box? Proprietary or open source?

Future-proof
    - Is there any risk of losing driver support in the future?

Issues
    - I don't want to have issues and have crashing drivers or the like. Is this common?

Linux-wide support - How is driver support for other flavors like Debian or Gentoo?

I've already been browsing the web a bit but I'm still conflicted and don't know which to get. I have a budget of roughly around $100-$150 for a card. I'll either get in the next couple days or in a few weeks (hopefully prices drop in January). Also, I'll probably bypass Lucid Virtu (I don't know if there's a Linux alternative) and go directly to discreet graphics since I have a 23" dual-screen 1920x1080 via DVI inputs.

Thank you in advance!

Beans

Re: Linux video card compatibility: AMD vs Nvidia

Nvidia has good proprietary drivers, AMD has bad proprietary drivers that may or may not work well with your videocard.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

nvidia

the day they start to suck is the day they stop selling hardware.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by inobe View Post
    nvidia

the day they start to suck is the day they stop selling hardware.
    I'm not doubting their hardware. I'm doubting their software. No doubt if their hardware tanks, they'll tank, but not that many people are on Linux so maybe their drivers could suck for future kernels.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just bought a Palit GeForce GTX 550 Ti Sonic (Nvidia) and all I had to do to get it working was use the system "search for additional drivers" feature. No problems so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

If you go for nvidia check its compatibility with unity or gnome shell.
    I have bad luck. Mine is an nvidia 7300GS and both unity and gnome shell only run on an older nvidia driver. I think that for newer cards there is no problem.
    I cannot advise a lot on ATI because the only card I had started smoking after 1 year.
    AMD64X2 3800+ 3GB Ram: 11.10
    ACER one T1810 : 11.10 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

NVIDIA is the way to go. VDPAU and simple driver installation makes them a no-brainer for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have had no problem with the amd card I use.
    Dell XPS 8300, Intel core I7-2600, 12 GB ram, 2 TB HDD, AMD Radeon 6770, Soundblaster X-fi Xtreme, Dell 24" monitor, Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10-testing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The same old bash and spread FUD about ATI, I see. History, folks. ATI was bought by AMD. AMD is a member of the Linux Foundation. NVIDIA? The fact is that they BOTH produce fine products and, as with anything else, you need to do your homework to decide which one is best for your particular needs.

There is one thing - one - that is different about installing an AMD/ATI driver. After installing it, before shutting down, you have to do

Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    to generate the initial xorg.conf.
    Last edited by QIII; December 28th, 2011 at 10:36 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    The same old bash and spread FUD about ATI, I see. History, folks. ATI was bought by AMD. AMD is a member of the Linux Foundation. NVIDIA? The fact is that they BOTH produce fine products and, as with anything else, you need to do your homework to decide which one is best for your particular needs.
    I rescanned this thread and don't really see any FUD about ATI. The fact is they are both make nice cards, but if you intend to use an ATI card for hardware h264 video acceleration in Linux, you're currently SOL. ATI's cards are great in Windows for HTPCs and even support bitstreaming HD audio (both NVIDIA and ATI support this in their newer cards).

If you aren't worried about GPU acceleration for video playback, I'd buy whichever card is cheaper. For me, NVIDIA has worked well and continues to work well. I see no reason to change.
    Last edited by rubylaser; December 29th, 2011 at 01:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast