Thread: How install tar.Gz file

Beans

How install tar.Gz file

How i install tar.Gz files in ubuntu i searched on google but i cant undrstand...How to
    i download these files on pakages.Debian.Org
    .Can any one help me plz..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How install tar.Gz file

tar.gz are like zip, you have to untar it then read the read me file inside.

what software do u want to install ?
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans

First of all always search in the Software Centre or Synaptic Package manager to see if software is already in the repos for easy install or from the developers website where a .deb might be available again for easy install (like a .exe in windows)

You can also use Gdebi package installer or look at dpkg.

If you have to download it as a package it will often come down in a package/archive format such as xxxxx.tar or xxxx.tar.gz etc.

These are analogous to windows .zip files but with varying compression denoted by the .xx after the .tar such as .tar.gz where .gz is the compression. A .tar file means Tape Archive which is legacy from UNIX when things were backed up to tape drives. The 2 or 3 letters after the .tar refer to the type of compression used to pack down the archive.

See here for dealing with these files https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FileCompression

It is often just a simple case of right clicking in your GUI on the file and choosing extract then it will be unpackaged to a directory.

The contents might simply be a .deb file as i said for easy installation see here:

http://linux.about.com/od/ubuntu_doc/a/ubudg21t2.htm

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

If the contents is source code then you need to compile this, this is where people often get stumped and is dependant on the developer and the documentation provided, once unpackaged there is often a README text file or a INSTALL file which you should read as it will often contain clear and concise instructions on what to do.

If not then you need to figure it out, see here for information on compiling from source:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingSoftware

then you should be set

Have fun

Regards

haqking
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Thanks dear, but it is a source file i cant install it using the terminal.
    Kindly just tell me the commands which r used in terminal to install a source file. I m a bigginner of ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Code:
    tar -xzvf package.tar.gz
    cd package
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    running those commands will ideally compile your package for you. if it complains about permission, precede the commands with sudo. in my (admittedly limited) experience, this process often does not work right away. if it doesn't work, read the output and look for a package that is missing. install that package and try again. HOWEVER, if you got it from the debian site it's most likely in the official repositories so USE THE SOFTWARE CENTRE or synaptic. or even apt-get. there's no reason to make this more complicated than it has to be.

EDIT: haqking's post is actually much better than mine, but it doesn't seem like you're interested in actually understanding what you're doing.
    Last edited by sirspazzolot; December 26th, 2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: snarky remarks make me look cool on the internet
    "Oh, man, I just shot Marvin in the face."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shafiq16 View Post
    Thanks dear, but it is a source file i cant install it using the terminal.
    Kindly just tell me the commands which r used in terminal to install a source file. I m a bigginner of ubuntu...
    If you read my post and the links it explains about source files.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elliotn View Post
    tar.gz are like zip, you have to untar it then read the read me file inside.

what software do u want to install ?
    i have codeblocks_8.02-Oubuntu.deb.tar.gz in pendrive and how to install codeblocks in ubuntu .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i have codeblocks_8.02-Oubuntu.deb.tar.gz in pendrive and how to install codeblocks in ubuntu .
    Don't use the file you have downloaded, install it from the software centre instead.

In fact the version in Software Centre is newer than the version you have downloaded.
    Cheesemill