Thread: CPU Cooler Issue

Beans

CPU Cooler Issue

Hi All,

This question is not related to Ubuntu specifically but applies to a machine with Ubuntu, and you guys have the best knowledge of any forum I know when it comes to computers.

So I built my own computer about six months ago. The relevant components are an ECS Motherboard, IC780M - A V2.0, an AMD Phenom X4 quad core chip, and a Corsair Air Series A50 Performance CPU Cooler. (http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Air-Pe...4474997&sr=8-2)

I used to have a low end zalman fan on the cpu, but it was running hot, like 40c, idle, 50c web browsing and youtube watching, and after playing a low spec game like half life 1 (on win) for 10 minutes, it would freeze all together. FYI I have a decent graphics card in there too.

I bought this big cooler from corsair in hopes to bring the temps down, and extend the life, because I don't plan on a lot of gaming, but 50c while web browsing is too hot, and I wanted to make sure this computer lasts.

When I tried to replace the cooler, it popped the black bracket that surrounds the cooler off. Now both the old one and the new one wont stay on.

My simple question is that do AM2, AM2+ and AM3 all share the same cooling bracket? I am afraid that the corsair is not right for the chip. I am also in contact with ECS on this.

My more advanced question is that, if I can use the above fan with my board/cpu, is there a better way to attach it than what came with my mobo? Its just a plastic bracket held in with 4 little plastic pins that when you push them through the hole, they catch the other side and expand a bit. I feel like this thing is too heavy for a plastic bracket!
    -Will
    Dell Inspiron 700M Laptop
    1.7GHz Intel Centrino, 500 MB RAM,40 GB HD
    Running only ubuntu 9.04 and LOVING IT!

Beans

Re: CPU Cooler Issue

A little hard google searching and i got it, thanks anyway!

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26...tsinks-sockets
    -Will
    Dell Inspiron 700M Laptop
    1.7GHz Intel Centrino, 500 MB RAM,40 GB HD
    Running only ubuntu 9.04 and LOVING IT!