Thread: ppc installation problems

Beans

ppc installation problems

I am trying to install on my PowerBook g4 and I've run into an issue. The installer cannot find my drive. I upgraded the drive a while back to a Hitachi travel star drive, HTS721010G9AT00. I have formatted the drive. I have searched for a driver for the drive but to no avail. Any ideas?

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: ppc installation problems

What version of ubuntu are you trying to install?

Beans

11.10 using the minimal CD

Beans

You need to drop to a shell in the installer and "modprobe pata_macio". If this doesn't work then the easiest thing to do is install 11.04 command line and upgrade. I wrote a guide http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...35&postcount=1 . Let us know if the modprobe worked.

Beans

Thanks for the response. Modrpobe did not work. It returned the response "FATAL: module pata_macio not found."

I will download and attempt with 11.04 instead

Beans

11.04 found the drive and is about 65% complete installing as I am typing this so it looks like I am all set. Thanks for your help!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mng777777 View Post
    Modrpobe did not work. It returned the response "FATAL: module pata_macio not found."
    I thought that might be the case. I will amend the instructions accordingly. Thanks for the feedback. I don't suppose you could raise a bug about it? I would do it, but I don't have a functioning powerpc machine at the moment so am reluctant to raise bugs about powerpc. I think the 'linux' package is the one that has the kernel/modules for the debian installer (netboot/mini cd) so that is the package to raise the bug against?

EDIT: I see the kernel team are already aware of this https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ke...er/017979.html , but if you use another module you need to raise a bug.
    Last edited by rsavage; December 24th, 2011 at 04:33 PM.

Beans

11.04 installs without a hitch however while upgrading I get an error message that man-db failed to install. I cannot submit a bug report because it's reported as a crash. The installation completes but with failures and then system reboots. It starts in the 11.10 GUI asking for my password. After entering it I see the 11.10 background but no GUI, only a terminal window. I'm new to Linux and not sure what to do next?

Beans

That's weird. I can't see any problems with man-db in launchpad with regards to PowerPC. What are you trying to install - normal Ubuntu or Xubuntu/lubuntu? You maybe best asking these sort of questions on one of the general discussion forums.

If you have to re-install then I would install a command line only 11.04 and upgrade to 11.10. Then install the GUI using a meta package. That way you can see what is going wrong better. It's how I describe to do it in the instructions I gave you.

Don't worry about the pata_macio bug it has been fixed in 12.04 already.

Beans

Just a thought, you don't need to adjust your session? Click on the cog/star/wrench shaped icon when asked to give your password - as demonstrated here http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/classicgnome .