Thread: touchpad issue for ubuntu 11.10

Beans

touchpad issue for ubuntu 11.10

I'm having problems with touchpad on my Sony Vaio S Intel Core i5 dual core Windows 7 64 bit laptop. I am new to Ubuntu and Linux in general so the best, simplest and precise answers always good.

I have turned on edge scrolling in System settings > Mouse and Touchpad, and pinch to zoom (multi-touch) also doesn't work.

Any help appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: touchpad issue for ubuntu 11.10

Pinch-to-zoom isn't supported yet. It appears the next version of Xorg will have it though. Holding ctrl and scrolling zooms in/out in a lot of apps. If it's a synaptic pad you can enable two finger scroll by modifying an xorg file if that interests you.

Beans

Do you means Synaptics manufacturer, so how do I check what the manufacturer of my Sony Vaio S is, and yes I am interested in doing xorg, but not sure what that is. Step by steps and simple instructions the best.

Any help appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Xorg is the graphical server that is the backend of all your graphics outside of text-only mode. I'm not sure if that release will make it into the next version of Ubuntu or not. And even then, I think applications will have support the feature specifically but that's an uninformed guess.