Thread: USB startup disk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

USB startup disk

Hello,

I am formatting my pc right now. I will reinstall both OS's from the scratch but I have no CD-DVD burner and nor do I have a pendrive.

My options are the very same external HDD I have backed everything in or my philips go gear vibe 8GB mp4 player.

My question is:
    Can I use any of those devices as a startup disk WITHOUT losing the information I have in them?

(I don't care about the music on the mp4 player but I wouldn't want to screw it up by deleting its "OS" or whatever t's called)

Thank you

Beans
    Distro

Re: USB startup disk

Anybody? I still have this doubt. Thanks.

Beans

You should be able to buy a 1gb or larger flash drive for under US$5 with all the after-holiday sales that are going on.

Beans
    Distro

I don't have a CD burner and I don't have $5 to spare at this time. But thanks, I'll find a way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I believe you can't boot from an external drive without formatting the device. Are still able to boot to Windows or Ubuntu ?

If so you can use gparted or other partitioning application to create a partition for Windows. Format the partition in NTFS, you can then install Windows in that partition, and then transfers your files there. It's easier to install Ubuntu after Windows is already installed, Since the Windows will not recognize the Ubuntu partition at first.
    Last edited by West201; December 27th, 2011 at 01:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jessejj89 View Post
    I believe you can't boot from an external drive without formatting the device. Are still able to boot to Windows or Ubuntu ?

If so you can use gparted or other partitioning application to create a partition for Windows. Format the partition in NTFS, you can then install Windows in that partition, and then transfers your files there. It's easier to install Ubuntu after Windows is already installed, Since the Windows will not recognize the Ubuntu partition at first.
    That's a great solution! I will deffinitely try it. Thank you very much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by maghoxfr View Post
    That's a great solution! I will deffinitely try it. Thank you very much.
    After you install Windows, you'll have to use an Ubuntu live cd to access your files in your Ubuntu partition, you can then transfer them to Windows. Or follow the method below.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/08/acces...itions-in.html
    Last edited by West201; December 27th, 2011 at 01:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jessejj89 View Post
    After you install Windows, you'll have to use an Ubuntu live cd to access your files in your Ubuntu partition, you can then transfer them to Windows. Or follow the method below.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/08/acces...itions-in.html
    Thanks mate!