Thread: Alternate Karmic Repositories

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Alternate Karmic Repositories

Are the Karmic repositories no longer available?

Are there any backup repositories I could use?
    Robert Stolorz
    www.RobertStolorz.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Alternate Karmic Repositories

Karmic's support ended last April.

If you wish to use a single distro for a long time, please consider installing a Long-Term Support (LTS) version.

The last LTS was 10.04 (Lucid), which will be supported until 13.04. The next LTS due is 12.04 (Precise), which will be supported until 17.04.

You could try to upgrade Karmic to Lucid (be sure to back up your data first in case of problems), or you could wait until April and install 12.04 (I would recommend a fresh installation -- back up your data first).
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is a server install. I choose 9.10 sepcifically because the PHP version had the best compatibility.

Upgrading isn't an option.

Are there any backup repos available?
    Robert Stolorz
    www.RobertStolorz.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry, I am not aware of backup repositories. As Karmic is no longer supported, there is no longer support for its repositories.

Besides, if your 9.10 was fully up-to-date, there will be nothing more available anyway.

You could try opening your Software Sources, and in the Updates tab, select Proposed Updates and Unsupported Updates. However, as the names imply, you may find that these updates break your system or parts of it, so you use it at your own risk.

As the problem is PHP compatibility, have you considered installing an older version of PHP on a newer installation of Ubuntu?

Beans

FeraTech, when an Ubuntu release goes "end of life" its repositories are moved to old-releases.ubuntu.com.

Therefore you can change your mirrors in /etc/apt/sources.list to old-releases. This will allow you to install unsupported, obsolete applications from the unsupported, obsolete Karmic repos. There will never, ever be any bug fixes or security patches to old-releases, so use at your own risk!

I hope that answers your question. I strongly agree with the suggestion above to use the currently-supported LTS release. If you are concerned with "PHP compatibility" then you should also know that the older version of PHP in Ubuntu 9.10 has known security vulnerabilities that will never be patched.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    FeraTech, when an Ubuntu release goes "end of life" its repositories are moved to old-releases.ubuntu.com.

Therefore you can change your mirrors in /etc/apt/sources.list to old-releases...
    So you will have to set /etc/apt/sources.list to the following:

Code:
    deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic main restricted universe multiverse
    deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security main restricted universe multiverse

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lars, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Because of the hardware i am using I need to use Karmic.
    When the repositories dissapeared, it created a massive headache for me.

I tried for ages to work/find out what to do.
    And in 3 short lines for my sources.list, you had the answer for me.

Your a true hero.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by klaatu View Post
    Because of the hardware i am using I need to use Karmic.
    If 11.10 or, when April comes around, 12.04 do not work on your hardware, please consider raising a bug report. This will help others with the same problem as you.

As your problem is solved, please mark this thread as solved to help others with the same problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm glad it helped. Keep in mind that Karmic is no longer maintained so that you are on your own for security issues. I would see if you can overcome the barriers and upgrade to 12.04 when the time comes. That will get you 5 years of support.