Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xbmc <-> xbox 360?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

xbmc <-> xbox 360?

I have been trying to use XBMC to stream media to my Xbox 360 but haven't had any luck. I can see my XBMC server but when I select it, none of my songs or videos show up. What do I need to do to make this work?

Beans

Re: xbmc <-> xbox 360?

I had a similar problem like this before. What was happening was xbmc was taking forever to build the list to send to the xbox. So xbox would say "No Videos Found" over and over until xbmc finally finished building the list of movies for sharing. Why?

I found out it was because I had multiple movies that were archived into .rar, .r01, .r02 etc. and xbmc was extracting them before building the list to send.

So, I manually extracted or deleted the ones I wanted until none were left and then list built instantly after that.

Also, I edited the file ~/.xbmc/userdata/upnpserver.xml and changed the line "MaxReturnedItems" to this so that ALL my movies showed up on xbox.

Code:
    <MaxReturnedItems>1000</MaxReturnedItems>
    Hope this helps. If it doesn't. I suggest taking a look at your media library and what may be in there to cause the hang up. There really should only be strictly video files in there and nothing else.

Beans
    Distro

Do I have to be booted into XBMC or will just running the application work? I did what you said and still don't see anything.

Beans

I don't boot into xbmc ever only use application. When you try to browse from the xbox, do you notice that the computer starts working? Or are you having no activity from cpu

Beans
    Distro

As far as I can tell there is no additional CPU activity.

Beans

Try opening port 59755 on your firewall. I find it a little weird that your xbox can see the xbmc server but doesn't list anything. Are you just getting the standard "No Videos Found"?

Also, do you have an actual library built inside xbmc? The upnp server doesn't share the files it only shares what's in the library.

Beans
    Distro

I finally got about 4 songs to show up (out of several thousand, I think) and then they were gone. I am getting the "No Videos Found" and "No Albums/Songs Found" errors. XBMC is set to reload the library every time it starts up.

Beans

My library is set to only update when I say. Maybe you should try to turn that off? It's possible that it's still updating and I would bet that has a lot to do with it.

Sounds to me like your issue could probably be solved by tinkering with some settings here and there.

I will say thought that XBMC is not perfect at upnp. Even though I have gotten my movie list to pop-up pretty fast now, I don't see the submenu for Title, Genre, Actor, Year etc. I only see the movies. Also, the movie names are usually kinda messed up and garbled and I get lucky if it plays the right movie that I clicked on.

Beans
    Distro

I ended up having to reload all my stuff into the library so it works now. Thanks for the help.

Beans

Haha it would be something like that. Glad you figured it out. Just remember xbox doesn't like a lot of the new formats for HD, particularly mkv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast